Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated Bed issues - wrong temp. reading, not heating up

Posted by Rhiath 
Heated Bed issues - wrong temp. reading, not heating up
September 17, 2012 03:01PM
I fully assembled my ReprapPro Huxley, though I am having issues with the heatbed.

The wiring is right from what I can tell, however I am observing the following issues:
- temperature probe reports the right resistance (around 100K at room temperature, dropped to 80K when I heated the bed with a hair drier). However, the GUI tells me my heated bed has 9°C (at room temperature) and maybe 24°C whan heated a while with the hair drier (should show around 50°C I guess).
--> temperature resistence seems good
--> GUI / PCB is wrong?

- when telling the heated bed to heat up, nothing happens (bed stays cold). I measured the voltage at the PIN the MOSFET gets wired to ("top row, second pin from left") both when heated bed is told to be off and on. The voltage on that PIN is always 0V. Interestingly, the green connector in the top row labeled "bed" toggles between 19V and 0V every few seconds when I tell the heated bed to heat. However the instructions say explicitly that this connected shall not be used.
--> PCB sending "heat up" signal on the green top row connected instead of the pin next to the USB connector ("top row, second pin from left")?

Can somebody please provide troubleshooting help? I did find [forums.reprap.org] with some troubleshooting instructions but that didn't help me resolve my problem.

PS: I put Kapton tape on the aluminum plate (top, sides and bottom outer border --> big area at the bottom is not covered) as adviced in the instructions (for better "grip" of PLA on the bed). Also before I had the Kapton tape on, the aluminum plate was somehow connected to the 19V, now it is properly insulated.
Re: Heated Bed issues - wrong temp. reading, not heating up
September 22, 2012 04:35AM
Hi

Sound as if you are using the Melzi Electronics. Check you are using the correct pin on the expansion header for the heat signal. Failing this the Melzi card has a MOSFET output that switches to directly provide 19V to the bed power input and you can use this instead. Make sure the thermistor polarity is correct from the bed. Also make sure you used plenty of heat transfer compound between the aluminium plate and the PCB heater board. It is a really messy job to get right - be patient. The only Kapon tape under the aluminium should be to cover the thermistor.

Good luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login