Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to Huxley : Z probe

Posted by paulnd 
New to Huxley : Z probe
January 03, 2014 04:35AM
Hello,

I'm very pleased with my newly built Huxley and I'm now looking at adding a Z probe.

I'm planning a simple, manual probe to set up the bed rather than an automatic probe at the start of each print.

I've dug into the firmware and this appears to be supported? If so, I'm a bit confused by line 130:

Wire bed probe to A2 on Melzi and duplicate cap/resistor circuit in schematic.

Is this the end stop schematic?

I've searched this forum and others but the only information seems to be for non-Huxley printers, as I'm still new to this I'm not sure about compatibility with other printers etc.

I'll be very grateful for any assistance please. I am delighted with my Huxley printer and my first steps into 3D printing!

Thanks in advance

Paul
Re: New to Huxley : Z probe
January 07, 2014 02:32PM
Talk to reprappro, (presuming you have a reprappro Huxley)
There's a bed levelling track round the edge of the PCB, the screws complete the circuit or something, so you can tell when your hotend hits the bed, or something ?!?

Never used it, or looked at how it should work, but have heard of it !

Dave.
January 12, 2014 09:26AM
@Paul
Yeap, it's about the endstop schematic. The probe is actually kind of mobile endstop. The schematic is actually a filter to debounce the microswitch. Since you connect the probe to another microcontroller pin, you need to add that circuitry to have a reliable function.
In case of RepRapPro Huxley, the "built in" probe on the PCB is not so reliable (hence no actually delivered as standard). You can find some arguments on the RichRap's blog.
You may alternatively consider the auto bed leveling in the latest release of Marlin.
February 14, 2014 10:58AM
I think cajun-cat has a nice approach with a software assisted bed levelling feature.
[github.com]

I really want to test this. But not sure what should be configured for a RepRapPro Huxley compared to what RepRapPro has done in their private Marlin repo.

Motherboard 62 (for sanguinololu)
Termistors RS198-961 for hot end and NTCS0603E3104FXT for bed.
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {91.429, 91.429, 4000, 875}

Rest should be easy? or something else that I need to look for?
February 15, 2014 06:40AM
epatel
I think cajun-cat has a nice approach with a software assisted bed levelling feature.
[github.com]

I really want to test this. But not sure what should be configured for a RepRapPro Huxley compared to what RepRapPro has done in their private Marlin repo.

Motherboard 62 (for sanguinololu)
Termistors RS198-961 for hot end and NTCS0603E3104FXT for bed.
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {91.429, 91.429, 4000, 875}

Rest should be easy? or something else that I need to look for?

Hi, this seems like a great solution instead of using servo motors etc.

Please let me know if you're able to install this on your Huxley?

Paul
February 15, 2014 09:48AM
Here is my first stab at configuring it.

It's a lot of parameters in there :-S. Not able to test it today, maybe tomorrow. Would be great if someone who know this machine (RepRapPro Huxley, late2011 or early 2012) could have a look.

[github.com]

Edward
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login