Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Timing belt upgrade question

Posted by Physics_Dude 
Timing belt upgrade question
January 14, 2014 01:24PM
Just over a year ago I built my RepRapPro Huxley. I've given it a few minor upgrades over these past months and now I think it's time to replace/upgrade the timing belts. From my understanding the newer (GT2?) belts preform better as well.

Currently I am using the stock white T2.5 PU 5mm wide timing belts with 14-tooth printed pulleys (5mm bore).

Could someone recommend compatible drop-in replacements for new timing belts and pulleys? Specifically I'm looking for the specs required and possible online retailers.
I'm not sure how, if at all, the newer GT2 hardware will alter the printer's steps-per-mm. I'm also concerned about the belt width and whether or not the printed idler/axis assemblies have to be upgraded as well to accommodate a different sized belt.

Any advice would be great.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2014 01:25PM by Physics_Dude.
Re: Timing belt upgrade question
January 16, 2014 09:48AM
The GT2 belts might perform better, but the T2.5 on the Huxley is "good enough" from my experience. My prints come out great as-is, so I'm not sure how much performance you'd be gaining by "upgrading". Unless your belts are severely worn from 24/7 use, I would just make sure they're tightened down and enjoy your Huxley smiling smiley

If you want to tinker and upgrade, you can always print out a Prusa Mendel i2 or i3 and put GT2 belts on that smiling smiley
January 16, 2014 05:28PM
FlyingLotus1983
The GT2 belts might perform better, but the T2.5 on the Huxley is "good enough" from my experience.

I agree that the printer still prints quite well, however I've been observing a couple key problems.
For one, the X axis is on it's second printed pulley ever since the stock one began slipping on the stepper motor shaft. With the new one, I've been noticing poor engagement with a couple of the teeth as well.

At the very least it would be nice to find some 14-tooth metal pulleys for this T2.5 x 5mm belt and the 5mm steppers. Anyone know of any good distributors?
January 16, 2014 05:48PM
Physics_Dude
FlyingLotus1983
The GT2 belts might perform better, but the T2.5 on the Huxley is "good enough" from my experience.

I agree that the printer still prints quite well, however I've been observing a couple key problems.
For one, the X axis is on it's second printed pulley ever since the stock one began slipping on the stepper motor shaft. With the new one, I've been noticing poor engagement with a couple of the teeth as well.

At the very least it would be nice to find some 14-tooth metal pulleys for this T2.5 x 5mm belt and the 5mm steppers. Anyone know of any good distributors?
Robot Digg has T2.5 16-tooth in machined aluminum, for $1.50:

[www.robotdigg.com]
January 16, 2014 06:25PM
FlyingLotus1983
Robot Digg has T2.5 16-tooth in machined aluminum, for $1.50:

[www.robotdigg.com]

Any suggestions for a 14-tooth pulley?
January 16, 2014 06:42PM
Not really, maybe the either the eMaker store or RepRapPro (send an email or PM if it's not listed on the website). My Huxley doesn't use printed pulleys (although they're plastic... they are concentric which is what's important I guess). So I'm assuming they'll sell you those. I've not searched for what you're after specifically but I'm sure they're available out there somewhere.

I'm 99% sure the Robot Digg 16 tooth would work on the Y axis with only a firmware change, and the X axis might work (or could be modified to work with a printed X motor end), again with a firmware change.

Oh, I think Robot Digg does offer a pulley machining service but no clue what that costs or what the minimum order is.
January 18, 2014 12:04PM
We don't have a T2.5 aluminium pulley. We have moved to MXL belt now - 1/4" wide, 2.032mm tooth pitch - and have found a good supplier of 18-tooth aluminium MXL pulleys.
If you want to keep your current belt, 16-tooth T2.5 should still fit fine, 18-tooth I think are too large. 16-tooth steps per mm on T2.5 will be :
(motor steps per revolution x microsteps) / (tooth pitch x number of teeth) =
(200 x 16) / (2.5 x 16) = 80

If you do change the belt, be aware of the belt thickness, as the x-carriage is set up for thicker T2.5 belt on your Huxley. We tweaked the size for MXL: [github.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login