Print quality degrading after ~15 layers
June 09, 2014 05:19PM
Hi all,

My (used, bought from a friend, used to work) RepRapPro Huxley is failing prints after about 15 layers. The extruder begins skipping and the quality of the plastic being laid down reduces significantly. The first layers are great. Any ideas? Picture of an attempted print of the Huxley extruder idler below.

Thanks,

Phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 05:20PM by ThePhilStrongProject.
Re: Print quality degrading after ~15 layers
June 12, 2014 06:48AM
Sorry to bump this thread but I can't print anything taller than about 5mm sad smiley
June 18, 2014 06:35AM
Hi Phil

There's a pretty comprehensive troubleshooting guide to extrusion problems here: [reprappro.com]

That it prints okay for a while, but becomes worse, suggests to me that heat is creeping up the nozzle, and causing the pressure needed to extrude to increase - hence the skipping of the extruder. Check that the top of the nozzle is being cooled correctly - see the 'construction problems' section of the guide above for the most common faults.

It could be related to the filament; it looks like the extrusion temperature is a bit low, or it's old filament and it has absorbed moisture, which can cause the rough surface look of the printed part, though I would expect it to do it across the whole print.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
June 18, 2014 07:06AM
I will have a look tomorrow evening - I've already cleaned the fan on the hot end out, maybe I need to replace the thermal compound too.

Thanks for the reply, Ian. It's very much appreciated.
July 01, 2014 09:52AM
Hi,

I've tried a few things now which haven't fixed my problem - I'm still unable to print!

- Cleaned the tape off the heatsink and replaced with thermal compound
- Experimented with a few different filaments
- Levelled the print bed
- Upgraded to the latest firmware

I'm out of ideas now!

Thanks, Phil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login