Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Huxley questions

Posted by Chillance 
Huxley questions
March 12, 2011 12:22PM
Hey!

So, I'm totally new when it comes to 3D printing, but that doesn't scare me. smiling smiley

Anyway, I was seriously thinking buying the Huxley version as it can print large enough objects. I was first planing to use [www.emachineshop.com] for my design, but with this 3D printer I can fail and experiment without too much money lost. Sure, it's a large price to pay to get the materials and then build the thing, but I'm hoping I can make use of this for other things as well. Besides, with my own 3D printer, I can be little more creative!

I am working on this project: [treadgaming.blogspot.com] and I'm almost done with the PCB. So, next step is to create some kind of enclosure for it, and this is where the Huxley comes in.

I've been scouting around the web reading about RepRap, and I gotta say I like it. Thing-o-matic is little too expensive in my opinion, and besides, I love that all this is open. Where, as I understand it, I can just print new and better parts to improve the Huxley. There seems to be a somewhat bigger community for the Mendel, but I guess some things there can be used for this Huxley too, right?

1. [www.techzonecom.com] and [www.reprapstores.com] is really the same thing? Same guy even?
2. Are there any plans to add a way to queue up many items and just let it work, by pushing off finished items? I know I can add several parts on the same grid (which will work fine for now), but it would be cool if I could let it build the item(s), and then somehow the item(s) are pushed/moved off the board and next group is created.
3. How about Acetal (Delrin)? Maybe too toxic? I'm wondering because it have a few of these nice properties:

* Good heat resistance
* Low coefficient of friction
* Wear resistant
* Moisture resistant
* Chemical resistance
* Thermal stability
* Creep resistance
* Excellent dielectrical properties

It also seems to have a shine to it too. Maybe ABS/PLA is enough here? I'm wondering because if I want to sell this, I want it to look/be as professional as possible. smiling smiley

4. About how many objects can be printed on one of those 5LB 3mm filaments? Say the object is like 5x5x5cm.
5. Anyone here know how many objects totally the Huxley can print before it wears out? I mean, maybe I need to change the extruder after a while?
6. How hard is it to change filament? I would imagine I need to use some of the new to get some of the old in the extruder out?
7. Should I buy it? winking smiley
8 Anything else I should think about before buying? Maybe extra parts of something?

I guess that is all for now.. smiling smiley

Thanks,
Chillance
Re: Huxley questions
March 12, 2011 07:57PM
i am looking at one of the same kits has you are, but i can give you a little feed back on a few things.

i do have a working extruder, and it is not hard to change the feed stock in it, i have seen videos where some guys use a lighter to melt the two pieces together, i have also just pushed the new feed stock in right behind it during testing that worked for me during testing.

on your extruder i think the biggest issue is the heater burning out, depending on the design, it can be a easy fix to have spare parts around for it. the makergear one is very easy to fix.

there are designs out there for conveyor systems for both the huxley and mendel, but i guess you would have to see what would work the best for you.

there are allot of variables with how many objects you can print, you need to account for size and density of the infill. that one is not a simple answer.

another thing to keep in mind i dont think repraps are far enough along to be left alone, for more than a few minutes at a time, i don't know of many ones out there that always behave like they should. they are allot like a child at times from what i have read.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 13, 2011 01:37PM
Actually, now I'm leaning towards the Prusa Mendel model...
March 13, 2011 04:59PM
Chillance Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, now I'm leaning towards the Prusa Mendel
> model...

Now your cooking...
I have a Huxley and a Prusa. The Prusa is the better printer.

Auzze
March 13, 2011 05:02PM
Auzze Wrote:
> Chillance Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Actually, now I'm leaning towards the Prusa
> Mendel
> > model...
>
> Now your cooking...
> I have a Huxley and a Prusa. The Prusa is the
> better printer.
>
> Auzze

Care to list the benefits?
March 13, 2011 07:24PM
my main reason for wanting to go with the Huxley is coming down to price. unfortunately money is a large issue for me right now.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 14, 2011 06:12AM
Chillance Wrote:
> Auzze Wrote:
> -----
> > Chillance Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Actually, now I'm leaning towards the Prusa
> > Mendel
> > > model...
> >
> > Now your cooking...
> > I have a Huxley and a Prusa. The Prusa is the
> > better printer.
> >
> > Auzze
>
> Care to list the benefits?

The main befit is the cost of the build.
My Huxley cost me over $700.00AU too build, I shold also point out that I built a oversized Huxley with a wade extruder.

My Prusa cost me about $500.00AU using RAMPS for the control system.
The Prusa has a bigger build area, can print at a faster speed and dosen't flex as much as the Huxley due to the M8 rods. I also found the Prusa was easier to callabrate.

The carriage on the Huxley does develop some side ways slop the give some uneven printer.

Hope that helps
Auzze
March 15, 2011 02:06PM
I ordered the Prusa yesterday actually.

Since you have experience with both, I would love more pros and cons in your experience.

techzonestore says:

"Our design engineers do not like it as well [the Prusa]. They say it does not run as smooth." Comparing to the Huxley.

I'm not about starting a flame war, and I guess it all depends on how you build it and what components you use. But from what I can tell from #reprap on IRC they recommended Prusa, and that MakerGears kit is quality. That is why I went for that. Also, because of your comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2011 02:08PM by Chillance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login