Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question on Bed springs, Photos of Huxley hot-tip & opto-end

Posted by owism8 
Question on Bed springs, Photos of Huxley hot-tip & opto-end
April 20, 2011 07:57AM
Hello All.

Since I have not seen any great photos on the Hot-tip. I am taking photos of mine. Please let me know if its OK. I don't want to burn it up and find out it'll mess up the 50 hours I put into this. All praises go to God that its done woohoo!

ONe more question. There is a photo of the opto-end here. Please let me know if that is OK for the Y axis. I will have the bed be the flag because if I make the frog-plate the flag, then the wire of it will hit the bed. I have seen a photo of springs under the bed though but I thought that will reduce my print-height so I am going to stay away from that. Any other reason why springs are there?
Re: Question on Bed springs, Photos of Huxley hot-tip & opto-end
April 20, 2011 07:58AM
Here is a pic of the Bed-spring i mentioned: [www.techzonecom.com]
April 20, 2011 08:09AM
Threads into PTFE with no other support will die after ~100 hours of printing (at PLA temperatures).
At ABS temperatures probably sooner...

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 20, 2011 08:55AM
THanks for the info.

Whats the best tip out there? What temp should the ABS tip run at?

Anyone know about the opto-end positioning I mentioned above?
April 20, 2011 11:28AM
rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Threads into PTFE with no other support will die
> after ~100 hours of printing (at PLA
> temperatures).
> At ABS temperatures probably sooner...

Uh... that would explain why my hot-end v2 had died the last week : /
(photo)
April 20, 2011 12:05PM
Ok Emmanuel. How long did yours run for? Did you put silicone cement around the tip? Mine has that.

Please let me know which tip you will build next.

Thanks
April 20, 2011 12:29PM
Hmm the tip is part of the thread in my case, so it's a thing I didn't have to worry about ^^'

It was on a classic wade for a mendel, and was running since november (sufficiently to print a mendel, a prusa and plenty other things).
Now I will either re-glue the thread into the PTFE or just buy a new hot-end and switch for an Adrian extruder for the mounting support.
April 24, 2011 12:01AM
If you can arrange the flag to engage the opto then your location should be fine. I've seen comments about using soda cans for the thin sheet flags, in north america most soda cans are too thin for any except that one, at least in my experience. I have tried, but ended up using tuna can aluminum for the x and z flags,

The springs are for when (not if) you crash the print head into the surface.
April 24, 2011 07:31AM
Thanks Mkouri,

I also found out that the springs are for adjustment of the bed so it is level when the tip moves across it.
May 12, 2011 07:26AM
About my hotend, I found a way to repair that old v2 without adding support (I tried but it broke) : [flic.kr]
Quite radical but it seems to work smiling smiley
May 16, 2011 07:48PM
interesting fix.

Is it working currently? I might as well give it a shot i suppose since its already destroyed. I asked techzone to send me a new tip.. Im also trying to get my hands on [www.reprap.org]

Sweet.
June 16, 2011 06:53PM
It worked fine during 2 weeks (longest lasting fix), but finally I mounted a v6 this week... and I admit that an hotend with a support is very appreciable...

I just have a tiny leak that even some ptfe tape let it "sweat" but beside that I'm happy smiling smiley
June 16, 2011 08:04PM
How did you mount the supports onto the x carriage.

I drilled holes towards the ends of the xcarriage which looks very fragile. A Picture of how I did it is attached. There is one problem though that there is heat coming into the screws somehow which is causing the plastic to bend.

Huxley is causing more problems than its worth. Any suggestions on a fix? I was thinking a fan, but I dont think thats the final solution.
Attachments:
open | download - adrian extruder nozzle.jpg (204.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login