Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Loading G-Code without Rendering

Posted by brnrd 
Loading G-Code without Rendering
June 08, 2011 07:59AM
A couple of months ago, I asked in [forums.reprap.org] for the ability to read g-codes without rendering in order to speed up the printing process:

brnrd
The ability to read gcode just for printing without displaying it would be nice. With a lot of my prints, I have to wait minutes while repsnapper interprets the gcode to generate the toolpath display. I don't always need to see that and get on to printing right away.

To which jcabrer replied
jcabrer
This can already be done in the render tab.

The option to disable rendering in the Mac Leopard compatible version that I use doesn't have any effect. It still takes a long time interpreting the g-code. Is there another Mac version that does what I want? If not, would someone point to the version that does regardless of OS?

Thanks.
Re: Loading G-Code without Rendering
June 08, 2011 12:20PM
If you mean that it takes a long time to "Load G-Code", there is not much you can do about that. The entire file is being loaded into memory, and most likely in a very inefficient way. Turning off G-Code Rendering only helps if you want to change the view orientation quickly withour a bunch of redrawing in between.
June 08, 2011 01:03PM
If you just want to get printing right away with proven code why not just use a terminal based sender like send.py ?

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 08, 2011 04:48PM
jcabrer
If you mean that it takes a long time to "Load G-Code", there is not much you can do about that. The entire file is being loaded into memory, and most likely in a very inefficient way. Turning off G-Code Rendering only helps if you want to change the view orientation quickly withour a bunch of redrawing in between.

It doesn't take long for the reprap host to load a g-code file for printing. But when I load the same file into repsnapper, it takes much longer: many minutes versus less than 1 minute. I don't think it's just inefficient read since after it finishes, it displays the tool path. I think it's slow because it's doing the rendering. If repsnapper doesn't render it and instead just sends the g-code to the printer, then it would be much faster. Since I generate the g-code in skeinforge, i can already view the toolpath there so there's no need to view it in repsnapper.
June 08, 2011 04:49PM
Sublime
If you just want to get printing right away with proven code why not just use a terminal based sender like send.py ?

I would but I couldn't get it to work under Mac OS Leopard (10.5.8).
June 08, 2011 05:50PM
brnd
Sublime

I would but I couldn't get it to work under Mac OS Leopard (10.5.8).
In this thread sender.sh and func.sh are mentioned and then something about bash for osx

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 14, 2011 08:07AM
change this line in tonokip

if(e_steps_to_take && (x_steps_to_take + y_steps_to_take <= 0) ) e_interval = time_for_move / e_steps_to_take * 100;

to this:
if(e_steps_to_take && (x_steps_to_take + y_steps_to_take <= 0) ) e_interval = time_for_move +1/ e_steps_to_take * 100;

there is a bug in the firmware for when no e movements are calculated. it causes a division by zero. processor locks up!

or remove this line

G1 E0 FXXXX ; from beginning of gcode. either way rep snapper is allowed to do G1 E0, so the firmware should not crash!

you will now be able to use gcode generated in repsnapper!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 08:08AM by jamesdanielv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login