Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windows Repsnaper beta build - Change Requests

Posted by BodgeIt 
Windows Repsnaper beta build - Change Requests
April 04, 2011 05:49PM
This is a place holder for sugestions to make changes to the New Repsnaper Beta build for Windows.

This can also be used for user refrence by anyone using the Windows Beta version.

The primary use will be to try to improve the operation / usability of the Repsnapper host software on Windows.

If these are thought to be worth while changes they could be requested in the Main Branch.

Change Request 1.

If Repsnaper temprature monitoring is enabled .
RepSnapper should check that the tempratures returned do not exced the target temprature set for that device
(ie Nozzle or Bed) If the temprature exceds the target temprature by XX degrees then :-

A. an alarm wave should be played on the host computer.
B. The traget Temprature should be re-set by re-sending the target temprature to the firmware.
C. If the temprature has not dropped after XX seconds the device should be sent a Turn off command.
D. If the emprature has not dropped after XX seconds the firmware must be sent a reset command.
E. Another alarm wave should be played.

I have just experienced this situation where the target temprature was exceded on the nozel.

I spotted the problem re-sent the traget temprature.
When this had no effect I pressed the reset button on the motherboard.

I think In my testing the G3 motherboard was not reset and the temprature control loop got its knickers in a twist.

Making a change like this will act as an added safety feature by double checking the firmware.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Re: Windows Repsnaper beta build - Change Requests
April 04, 2011 06:00PM
I would love it if Repsnapper would not allow me to run the extruder forward unless the hot end is hot enough to extrude, or unless I give some kind of override. Perhaps a "Safety" button that is on by default. I suppose this should apply to GCode as well as the interactive controls.

So many extruder jams because I forgot to turn on the heat, or the last program turned it off.
April 04, 2011 06:39PM
Dale yep thats a good change request I also have had that happen on the old Repsnaper .. I had forgoten that one.

This could also be handled by the firmware sending a message to the host software saying the printer is not ready like all other printing devices ie like an out of paper message or the buffer is full message.

Unfortunatly that would mean a change to both the host and firmware... to handle problems like that.. maybe nearly out of filament.. message too.

I dont know if the other flavors of RepRap Host SW have the need for the same changes?

May be this should be a generic thread to cover all flavors of RepRap host Software?

e.g RepRap Host and ReplicatorG...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2011 06:53PM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]

BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

April 07, 2011 01:28PM
-perhaps i missed it, but if not, there needs to be a 'cancel print' button, and a way to clear gcode out with a single button press.

-the 'run extruder' button should have an option to use volumetric firmware adjustments, i.e. fewer steps. just change the scale, so that i don't feed 100 mm into the extruder.
April 07, 2011 09:13PM
@ Buback

1/ . Im not sure of a method of implementation of the first one as the firmware will have bufferd some of the Gcode.
The buffer size is configuable in the Repsnaper set up from 4 to 100 gcodes in the firmware buffer.

So this change would need to be implemented on both Firmware and Hostware..
Firmware side needs a control that overides the curent buffer contents so would need to be done by the serial interface signals or a manual emergency stop switch. The firmware would then need to tell the host it had been stopped.

The hostware would then need to be changed to handle/provide this functionality.

2/ . I'v have been playing with the run extruder button.
Calibrating my extrudate in the firmware where this setting curently resides.

So this again will need a change to to both Firmware and Hostware... this would mean the E steps per mm would need to become a user variable maybe in the printer set up section. This would then need to be sent to the firmware.

Both of the above changes would mean branching away from all of the other Firmware / hostware configurations curently used by RepRap. So Im not sure if they are viable options.

However in the firmware I do think there is a need for multiple settings of E steps per mm thus alowing for diffrent size extruder heads.

For example a printer could have 3 sizes of extruder heads say 0.2mm 0.4mm and 0.6mm to provide the following printing standards Fine printing, Normal printing and Draft printing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2011 09:25PM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]

April 07, 2011 11:50PM
i hope that the ideas in this thread get put into repsnapper, just feels like its stalled lately.

but to the guys working on it thank you.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
April 11, 2011 03:00PM
Could you implement it in a more basic way, as in it would just clear all the gcode out of repsnapper? i understand what you mean about the buffer. does the pause button send a 'pause' gcode command, or just stop sending gcode to the printer?

lets say i loaded the wrong gcode file. currently, i have to close and restart repsnapper (or select all the gcode commands and delete but this doesn't reset the rendering window). that's really all i would like for now. it'd probably better to call it a 'clear gcode' button instead of 'cancel print' button, since people would hit the button and expect the printer to stop.

And i second the Thanks. Thank you for all your work, repsnapper devs!
April 11, 2011 06:40PM
if you delete any present stl, and then press "convert to Gcode" it will clear the Gcode
April 11, 2011 06:55PM
The ability to read gcode just for printing without displaying it would be nice. With a lot of my prints, I have to wait minutes while repsnapper interprets the gcode to generate the toolpath display. I don't always need to see that and get on to printing right away.

Thanks.
April 12, 2011 02:16AM
This can already be done in the render tab.
April 12, 2011 09:39AM
Perhaps it has to do with the version that I'm using on the Mac but when I disabled all the display options, it didn't make a difference.
April 12, 2011 12:04PM
Emmanuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if you delete any present stl, and then press
> "convert to Gcode" it will clear the Gcode

the thing is i'm not loading stls. i'm using skeinforge to make my gcode, and using the load gcode button.
April 12, 2011 09:34PM
When you load a gcode file, it clears the current gcode first. There's no need to delete the current one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login