Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

recommended RAMPS firmware?

Posted by madprog 
recommended RAMPS firmware?
November 02, 2011 11:13PM
I just finished building my Prusa with the Ultimachine RAMPS electronics. I can't seem to find a good firmware setup.

What's the recommended firmware, and what control software should I use with it?

I can't seem to find a firmware that completely works... FiveD doesn't seem to have a configuration setup for RAMPS 1.4. Teacup compiles, but doesn't do anything. Sprinter would move the various axes, but not the extruder, and gave errors when trying to use ReplicatorG to control it...

Is there a toolchain that just works?
Re: recommended RAMPS firmware?
November 04, 2011 07:19PM
When i started sprinter I loaded every possible firmware onto it and it all worked.

I am now using the following toolchain

FW: merlin
Host: Pronterface
Skeinning: SFACT

merlin is just sprinter with path look ahead and is a little more in the experimental stage for non gen6 electronics. Ive been printing great with it no problem at all.

Ive also used repsnapper as a host to push SF41 files to sprinter and no problems. Have you checked if the pololu stepper is burnt out on the extruder? also check if the motor works on any of the other axis to start eliminating why E wont move.
November 04, 2011 07:27PM
I replaced marlin on my printer by the repetier fw. It's quite mighty.
November 05, 2011 04:05PM
I know my hardware setup is correct because I can run the RAMPS1.4_TestCode, and everything works fine (all axes, and the extruder). So all of my motors are fine, all of my soldering is fine, and all of my stepper drivers are fine.
November 05, 2011 04:18PM
And when I use ReplicatorG to connect to it, I get a bunch of errors like this:
[13:13:43] Unknown: x:0.00y:0.00z:0.00e:0.00

ReplicatorG can control the XYZ axes just fine, but can't seem to make the extruder move to save its life. In ReplicatorG, I selected 'Klimentkip' as the Driver, because I figured that was the closest to Sprinter there was...

If people are saying that the Sprinter firmware works great, do the use it with ReplicatorG, and if so, how?
I am running into the same issues and also curious as to a Marlin setup that will work
November 07, 2011 08:00PM
I am running RAMPS 1.3 (built from Ultimachine kit)
Sprinter
Skeinforge 41 (going to SFACT as soon as I get a chance for some testing)
and RepSnapper (I am thinking of going to something else)
Repsnapper works fine for running Gcode and manual control of printer. Have not had any problems.
December 09, 2011 04:53PM
I'm running an Ultimachine RAMPS v1.4 on a MakerGear Mendel Prusa.
My laptop runs Windows 7, with Python 2.7.2 installed.

My usual workflow is
(favourite text editor) -> OpenSCAD 2011-10-5 -> Slic3R 0.5.4 -> Pronterface -> Marlin 0.9.10L

I'm happy! Marlin is smoother and quieter than Sprinter, and does curves better. You need Marlin nonGen6 for RAMPS, the V1 fork doesn't work on RAMPS.

Slic3R is faster and easier to set up than skeinforge. I sometimes use skeinforge43 for parts that have very thin sections, since Slic3r seems to optimise out bits that are only one strand thick. See my post where I talk about the raven cookie cutter. I may just need to tweak a setting somewhere, but haven't felt the need yet.

Andrew Roberts
brazenartifice@gmail.com
brazenartifice.wordpress.com
December 19, 2011 07:46PM
BrazenArtifice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You need Marlin
> nonGen6 for RAMPS, the V1 fork doesn't work on
> RAMPS.

Good news everybody, you do not need to use the non-gen6 fork for Ramps anymore - it is now all combined into a single beta v1 distro:

"A new Marlin beta version is available. 1 version for Gen6, Ultimaker, RAMPS and SL." You can find this version in: [github.com]"

source for quote: [github.com]
December 20, 2011 07:01PM
Yeah, I read that on the github site some time ago. V1 was my first attempt at getting Marlin running on my MakerGear Mendel Prusa. You can read the thread on the MakerGear Google group where I asked for help getting my thermistor temperature readings to work again after changing from Sprinter.

Long story short, V1 didn't read thermistors right on my RAMPS v1.4
The non-gen6 version I linked to does.
Until someone verifies from personal experience that Marlin V1 works on RAMPS, I suggest using the non-gen6 version.

Andrew Roberts
brazenartifice@gmail.com
brazenartifice.wordpress.com
December 20, 2011 08:23PM
BrazenArtifice Wrote:
> Long story short, V1 didn't read thermistors right
> on my RAMPS v1.4
> The non-gen6 version I linked to does.

Thanks for the clarification Andrew.

This is a bummer because it appears that the non-gen6 branch is not going to be maintained/updated anymore. Hopefully the problem will get fixed in the main branch.
January 08, 2012 01:34AM
ReplicatorG 26
RAMPS 1.4
Firmware: Sprinter

The only issue I am having is when I enter control panel I get the following: Unknown: x:0.00y:0.00z:0.00e:0.00

It's not a show stopper, but it is annoying.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Thanks
January 08, 2012 01:50AM
BrazenArtifice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm running an Ultimachine RAMPS v1.4 on a
> MakerGear Mendel Prusa.
> My laptop runs Windows 7, with Python 2.7.2
> installed.
>
> My usual workflow is
> (favourite text editor) -> OpenSCAD 2011-10-5 ->
> Slic3R 0.5.4 -> Pronterface -> Marlin 0.9.10L
>
> I'm happy! Marlin is smoother and quieter than
> Sprinter, and does curves better. You need Marlin
> nonGen6 for RAMPS, the V1 fork doesn't work on
> RAMPS.
>
> Slic3R is faster and easier to set up than
> skeinforge. I sometimes use skeinforge43 for parts
> that have very thin sections, since Slic3r seems
> to optimise out bits that are only one strand
> thick. See my post where I talk about the raven
> cookie cutter. I may just need to tweak a setting
> somewhere, but haven't felt the need yet.
>
> Andrew Roberts
> brazenartifice@gmail.com
> brazenartifice.wordpress.com

Do you have a new link? the one you posted is giving me a 404.

I tried the following version [github.com]

I am running into Thermistor issues. My extruder one is working, but I cant get the Bed temp to register.
I have tried to copy what I have in Sprinter with no luck.

Everything works under Sprinter. Do you have a configuration.h file I can look at?

Thanks
January 09, 2012 05:18PM
yep, Marlin nongen6 is depricated/dead so his link willl 404 and I don't know of another spot to get it.
February 21, 2012 10:10AM
Marlin firmware is here: [github.com]

I had to remove all the sd* files to get it compiled. I was having errors about WString.h in these files, but I'm not using SD card anyway.
March 10, 2012 11:35AM
I purchased the Ramps 1.4 full electronics kit for mendel from the future is 3d a couple of months ago to replace the gen3 electronics on my mendel. the kit suggests an Arduino 2560 [thefutureis3d.com]. After putting it all together I ran the arduino 1.0 and arduino 0023 firmwares. If I choose the 2560 chip, the software compiles but hangs when uploading. If I choose the 1280 chip the software compiles and uploads. From this I conclude that I don't have a 2560 chip but instead have a 1280 chip. With the Arduino 1.0 software, I can upload and run the example blink and fade programs from arduino. I then downloaded the EricZalm-Marlin b4833d5 software, edited the configuration.h file to select 33 for the mother board, compiled and uploaded the software successfully. I then installed and tried replicator-g, reprap, and proterface and cannot connect to the board no matter what i do. Since I bought the Ramps already assembled, I can't see the chip to know exactly what it is. I contacted the company to ask them about the chip and they told me that "You should check the top or bottom of the Arduino board to find the exact version. The 1280 and 2560 have different silk screening on the back. The 2560 looks like this and has 2560 printed below the Mega logo on the top side. The 1280 has the shape of Italy printed on the back. You should select the correct board when flashing the new firmware. " The bottom board of my ramps setup has nothing on it but a black board, no pictures, no silk screening ?? I'm sure there is a simple answer to this that i am missing....just wish I could figure it out. I'm powering the ramps with 2 yellow 12v and 2 grounds on the top board. On the bottom board is a connection for power but I am assuming (through another contact) that the connection on the ramps boards provides power to the board. Any suggestions would be apprecriated.hmm sorry if i double posted this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2012 04:56PM by HereIgoAgain.
March 25, 2012 03:34PM
All our electronics that we sold in the first batch where the 1280 chip. After we ran out of the 1280 chip I posted they were 2560.

If you really need a 2560 I can swap it our for free. You just need to ask.

You should be able to download everything you need to be up and running from my download site. [thefutureis3d.com]

I have a package that anyone can download that will get you running with programing the Arduino. You don't need arduino ver 1.0. ver. 0023 is all that you need.

I try to make this as simple as possible, and as always send me an e-mail for questions.

Marlin firmware is the way to go. Love it!!!!!!!!!!

I have added a ton on new content also with the new Marlin RC2, skeinforge 47 and ReplicatorG 34

I worked many many days to make this as easy as possbile.

Download it and try it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 03:36PM by Adventure.

Jeff Christiana
March 28, 2012 10:55PM
I agree, arduino v1.0 gave me fits on a different project (an inertial measurement unit arduino), come to find out not all the libraries are compatable. Use the beta versions 0023 or before. I recall reading in the arduino site or somewhere (maybe diydrones.com) that the Mega 2560 board type definition is not fully working and that the 1280 selection does work with it (only memory size differences). I am putting together a RAMPS1.4 w/ a Mega1280 myself and am looking for software too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login