Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS single board

Posted by chrissketch 
RAMPS single board
November 20, 2011 12:45PM
Has anyone tried to put RAMPS onto a single PCB? The proposed electronics would be like Sanguinololu but would use the ATMega2560 chip, so that a heated bed can be used. Lady Ada's Boarduino is a good example of breaking down the electronics of the standard Arduino that'd be possible (though more difficult) with the Mega. I've checked out all of the working developments on the wiki and found nothing.

I've heard that there are different views on whether we should continue to use through-hole components or move to surface mount components. I've noticed many of the RAMPS kits sold in the US have some surface mount components. If there's enough people against surface mounts this project doesn't make sense. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
Re: RAMPS single board
November 20, 2011 06:54PM
I don't understand, a heated bed can be used with the RAMPS. The heated bed is powered through D8.

The people selling SMD kits seem to be people trying to corner a market so someone would 'have' to buy components, boards etc from them. Many seem to have screens and boards made for them to sell as a commercial venture. THere is nothing wrong with that.
Personally I see this as starting to go against the simplicity and spirit of making a board for a hobbyist. The SMD traces are too small and most likely cannot be made in the home without some problems.
My $0.02 , not everyone has the same view.
November 21, 2011 05:04AM
The smd components are a pain in the neck to solder without the correct tools, but with the right tools and some spare time its possible to assemble the board by hand.

If you look at the 1.4 board and compare it to 1.3 you can really see all the extra components which would be next to impossible to add without using smd parts.

Sanguinololu is essentially RAMPS 1.2 (or there abouts) in a single board. Sanguinololu supports 2 heaters/thermistors meaning you can run a heated bed as long as your only using a single extruder.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
November 21, 2011 11:43AM
My mistake, I thought I had read Sanguinololu didn't support heated build plates.

I realize there's an argument against using surface mount components, but I thought sparkfun's tutorials seemed simple enough and I noticed Ultimachine started using some surface mount components on their RAMPS. I can appreciate keeping the boards simple, but I'm willing to sacrifice some simplicity if it makes it cheaper. (3D printers aren't exactly the simplest things in the world to begin with).

Thanks for taking time to respond to my post.
November 22, 2011 07:16AM
I hope to have a prototype working within the next few weeks, a RAMPS + MEGA combined on one board. I just need to finish the design.

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
November 23, 2011 06:12PM
Its currently being stress tested. Will be making another round of prototypes to include changes after testing. Several improvements made over the original RAMPS and the Arduino MEGA. Also, have a working Sanguinololu all SMD version designed as low cost of entry electronics board, altho dont have time yet to play with that one yet.

The SMD versions are designed to be mass produced thus lowering the cost, though it is true that it takes away the fun and accomplishment of building one yourself. Then there's another end of the spectrum that just want something that works and doesn't have the time or skill to build one. These redesigns were a necessity for us since my friends and I are building about 10+ printers for ourselves and a lower cost controller board helps bring the over all cost down.

Azteeg Single Board RAMPS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 06:22PM by royco.
November 24, 2011 06:37AM
ah cool, you are much further than I am. When do you expect to be able to release the files?

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
November 24, 2011 12:46PM
Im doing another revision with a couple of changes, mostly from forum user suggestions. I was hoping that this next run of prototypes would be the last before release. There's really not much changed from the original ramps schematic except for some component changes and placement. A little bit more attention were given to the mosfets and the drivers to ensure reliability.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login