Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Solved] Error: Printer halted. kill() called

Posted by oddovalspin 
[Solved] Error: Printer halted. kill() called
February 21, 2012 08:23AM
Hi,

I have RAMPS V1.4 hooked up to an Arduino Mega 1280. I can run the test code and the steppers all move, the extruder moves and the LEDS on the MOSFETS all blink. So far so good.

I have downloaded marlin and sucessfully complied it. Marlin is basically the only firmware I could find which would compile and upload straight off the download so I figure that was a good start.

I have read a number of other forums and have made what seem to be sensible edits to Marlin. My Reprap is set up with a 100k thermistor on the extruder and H21L0B End stops which I understand are inverting so I have changed the endstops (const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = etc) all to true and uncommented #define RAMPS_V_1_3 in pins.h

The firmware complies and uploads without any errors.

My problem is I can't get any of the g-code generators to move the axes ofr heat up the extruder. I have tried various versions of :

Reprap host software
Printrun
Repsnapper
ReplicatorG

running off a Laptop with Windows 7 but none of these applications will make the axes move. I know how to use PuTTY to monitor the serial line and one recuring theme is the mesage:

Error:Temperatur heated bed switched off. MINTEMP triggered !!
Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter halted. kill() called !!

Can anyone tell me what this means and/or how to fix it?

I don't have a heated bed and I wondered if ther firmware is looking at the Reprap and expecting to get a signal back from a heated bed and then quiting becuase it doesn't see a signal but I don't know how to check the firmware and edit it so that it doesn't look for a heated bed.

Regards, David.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 10:07AM by oddovalspin.
Re: Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter halted. kill() called
February 22, 2012 05:05AM
Its reading a bed temperature below 5C (by default) and panicking. I think you can disable this temperature check by setting TEMP_SENSOR_BED to 0 in configuration.h.
February 24, 2012 07:21AM
Have you got your Thermistors connected...If not thats the error you get...
February 24, 2012 07:24AM
Andrew and Vollnormal,

Thanks for your replies. I have the extruder thermistor connected to T0 but I don't have a heated bed. I have all the bits and will put it together this weekend and let you konw how I get on. Thanks again for taking the time to reply and for your advice..

Regards, David.
Well now, I have the same problem... that is, pronterface or pronsole successfully connect to the device, but no matter how much I plead, it will not move any axis. Initially I ran into the same 'kill()', but since I'm still trying to verify that the ramps board will control my steppers, and because I have not yet hooked up the extruder or heated build platform, I just unhooked that particular call to kill() in the code.

I'm a SW guy, not HW, so I'm easily confused if you ask me to ask me to explain the difference between inductance and capacitance. But I seem to find my way around the Marlin code. Incidentally, if you know your way around c++, netbeans is an excellent editor, and there's an arduino plugin by Kerry Wong (described here) that works quite well for editing (compiling or flashing the arduino does not). The code navigation is wonderful for a project like Marlin.

Anyway, I think I need help figuring out where to look. Based on reading elsewhere, here's what I know:
    * I've trimmed the pots on the pololu drivers to 25%
    * I've confirmed that the power supply is producing 12V
    * The motors are not hot.
    * I'm pretty sure I have the wiring right for the motors, based on the wiring diagrams on Kysan's website and checking that pairs of leads from the motors produce resistance.
    * I've tried moving all the axes; e.g. in pronsole with 'move x 10'
    * yes, the power supply is plugged into the wall outlet.
I would very much appreciate any hints as to where to look first. Please help. Thanks.
February 26, 2012 03:30AM
Oh... found this ramps 1.4 test code on this forum that does a low-level diagnostic which winks all the leds and turns all the motors back and forth. Very nice. For my board it turns X and Z motors, but Y does not move, so clearly that wiring is wrong. But since this simple diagnostic turns the motor and pronterface/marlin does not, I probably don't have the Marlin constants set correctly. Right? Any suggestions?
February 27, 2012 07:53AM
Hi Everyone.

I built a heated bed over the weekend. Basically I printed toner using Press 'n Peel and extched a track which has a resistance of about 2 Ohms. I also wired up a 100 kOhm thermister and hooked it up to T1 (T0 already has the extruder thermister.

Today i hooked it all up and tested it with the Reprap host software and presto... I have moving axes.

It might be worth noting to people who are at the same stage as me that the heads won't move in the negative direction unless you have moved at least that far in the positive direction. This is confounded becuase my X and Z directions are going the wrong way. When I try the home function they both shoot off the wrong way until they crash.

The next job is to figure our how to change the default direction in Marlin.

Thanks for your help and those of you who are getting "Error: Printer halted. kill() called" - you need a heated bed, and you need to have it connected.

Regards, David.
Re: [Solved] Error: Printer halted. kill() called
March 22, 2012 08:23PM
Once this message is generated no action will occur.
I hit this error when the wire of my extruder trep monitor got hot and welded themsels together.

By setting the temp resistor value to 0 in the firm ware will allow you to continue testing, til you can fixe the temp monitor issue.
"Error: Printer halted. kill() called"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login