Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 and LCD wiring angry smiley

Posted by MatheusBrum 
Ramps 1.4 and LCD wiring angry smiley
April 14, 2012 11:09AM
Hello,
I'm trying to use a 16x2 LCD and wiring like this link: http://sumpod.com/lcd-wiring-and-electronics, but anything happens!
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
Attachments:
open | download - LCD_WIRING.jpg (368.2 KB)
rcs
Re: Ramps 1.4 and LCD wiring angry smiley
April 14, 2012 02:16PM
Perhaps you might need a pot about 10K so that you can ajust the display instead of the restistor
April 14, 2012 03:04PM
I'm using a 10k resistor connecting LCD 1 to 3
April 14, 2012 04:08PM
Em... The way you have wired it bears little resemblance to the link that you posted

Look at my schematic here

You have wired to the pins at the other end of the AUX-4 Port from the sumpod example.

I have this working using pretty much the same wiring as them.

Have a quick review of your wiring versus the schematic on my website (above) see if it is ok.

Alternatively if you are using Marlin you can alter the pins.h file to your own layout.
April 14, 2012 06:43PM
Thank you very much!
I wired as your post. Now the LCD is on, but it keeps blank. Whats wrong?
Where i connect the pin 5 of the encoder?
I activated the "#define ULTRA_LCD" and checked the connections at the firmware and everything is ok.
April 14, 2012 06:57PM
Ok.

Did you use a variable resistor to alter the contrast by adjusting the voltage at pin3 of the LCD?

When you power up your LCD, do you get the test pattern, ie one row blank, the other row completely lit up (a row of blocks)? before the lcd initialises. If you were to program your arduino to do the blink sketch (ie no lcd instructions) this should stay on this way.

Have you tried using a lcd demo sketch from the standard arduino libraries? Getting this to work on RAMPS might be worth doing.
rcs
April 14, 2012 07:01PM
A 10k resistor is not variable. I think that you will need this as Justblair has stated.
April 14, 2012 07:09PM
I'm using just a 10k resistor.
When i power up the arduino i don't see anything, it just keep blank.
Same thing with the LCD demo
April 14, 2012 07:14PM
I am guessing then that you need to use a variable resistor as per my schematic. This will allow you to adjust the contrast for your display.

When HD44780 LCD displays start up they normally display that test pattern I described above. If you are not seeing that then there is a good chance that the contrast is set incorrectly.

Its the first thing that I would try so we can rule it out.
April 14, 2012 07:17PM
All right. Thank you! I'll try to buy one.
April 14, 2012 07:24PM
Last question:
Where i connect the pin 5 of the encoder?
April 14, 2012 07:36PM
Not sure which pin will be pin 5,
Your encoder can have several different pins...

Do you mean pin 5 as per my schematic?

Your rotary encoder if it an alps style encoder will have three pins on one side, two pins on the other.

The side with 3 pins will be the encoder part. The middle pin attaches to ground. the other two to pins D33 and D35 on your ramps AUX-4 connector

On the other side of the rotary encoder is two pins that are essentially either terminal of a push button switch. One of these connects to D29 on my schematic, the other connects also to ground. Although you can link it to the middle pin on the other side of the encoder as by now this will be attached to ground..
April 14, 2012 08:23PM
Yes, my encoder is like yours. Thank you again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login