Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Powering a RAMPS set up from a 19V supply

Posted by Alzibiff 
Powering a RAMPS set up from a 19V supply
November 26, 2012 09:52AM
Background
I have a RepRapPro Huxley which is powered by a 19V laptop type power supply rated at 6A. The electronics is currently a MELZI board which controls the RepRapPro PCB heatbed via one of the MELZI expansion pins. The MELZI is also driving a cooling fan.
What I want to do
I would like to keep the cooling fan and heated bed and add an LCD panel plus controller - but do not have enough spare I/O lines available on my current electronics.
Solution
Got to be RAMPS as this will provide the additional control lines.
The Problem with this idea
The power supply. I don't want to replace the laptop brick PSU as to do so and go to a 12V supply would reduce the power available to the heat bed currently running from 19V. However, if I plug in 19V to the RAMPS, I am going to run the risk of blowing my Arduino Mega board - and I don't want to do that. :-)
How does this sound?
Remove the D1 component on the RAMPS board and replace it with a 7812 regulator: connecting its input pin to where the diode anode used to go, its output to where the diode cathode was and its ground pin to a convenient place on the circuit board.
Question
Does the above sound practical, reasonable and the best way of solving the problem? Not sure of how I would physically locate the 7812 but I don't think I would need to bother with a heatsink for it given that it is only being used to provide power for the Arduino - not the steppers, heat bed or hot end.

Thank you,
Alan
Re: Powering a RAMPS set up from a 19V supply
November 27, 2012 08:25AM
As long as the PSU is up to it, the idea should work.

Are you sure that 19V @ 6.5A is enough to run everything (particularly with a heatbed?).
Re: Powering a RAMPS set up from a 19V supply
November 27, 2012 12:44PM
Cefiar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As long as the PSU is up to it, the idea should
> work.
>
> Are you sure that 19V @ 6.5A is enough to run
> everything (particularly with a heatbed?).

Yes - It does seem relatively low I agree but it has been running without any problems for almost a year now. The power supply came with the kit of parts from RepRapPro and has an output current rating of 6.32A at 19V. The heater resistor will take a large chunk of that when cold - 6R8 will draw almost 3A on its own. However, the bed size is only 140mm square and although I don't know how much current this draws, it works! (Struggles a bit to go much beyond 100C without covering it over during warm up).

Thanks for the reply,
Alan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login