Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

z motors stopped

Posted by blazedforever 
z motors stopped
July 22, 2014 09:52AM
Printer was working fine (ordbot, ramps 1.4) but one day i go to use it and the two z motors just make a quiet knocking noise when i jog them, x and y work fine. I tried plugging the x motor into the z spot but could not get x to move. I plugged z into x and it did move slightly. what broke? I havent touched the machine and last print was fine, would it be the stepper driver? why?
Re: z motors stopped
July 23, 2014 04:35AM
Possibly the stepper driver. Try unplugging it then re-installing just to rule out a poor pin contact. Power OFF of course.

July 27, 2014 06:36PM
I swapped the drivers with working y axis and no difference, y axis is working as well. Also i noticed bit of oil dripped down the screw and pooled on the top of the motor do you think that could harm the z steppers?
July 27, 2014 09:40PM
-Tested each motor separately , all good.
-Tried higher and lower current settings , no change.
-Swapped wires.
-fresh firmware with same old working step/mm settings.

It seems like all the drivers are good but any motor or driver I plug into the z position on the ramps board wont work. motors are energized and have holding torque, they just wont move , but occasionally make light jerking noises.
July 28, 2014 06:50AM
Perhaps too much friction on the Z axis? With power off you should be able to turn these M8 rods with two fingers, almost as easily as if you'd turn a bare bolt into a nut.

Else it looks like Steps and/or Dir signal no longer reach the Pololu. Dir can be measured with a multimeter, should be close ot 0V or 5V depending on direction. Step is a bit more difficult, you need a logic probe or an oscilloscope.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login