Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First thing to blow on a RAMPS Board

Posted by Moejoe 
First thing to blow on a RAMPS Board
November 20, 2014 02:19PM
I am a complete newbie to electronics and 3d printing. tonight i blew my ramps board and a stepper driver. i think.

I wanted to know if any one has any handy tests they perform on a stepper motor driver to see if it's still usable with out plugging it in.

I did go poking around with my multimeter and found that holding my continuity meter on a ground pin and running it along the other pins would result in my broken pololu having more continuity alerts. but doing it on a pololu that is not broken yields only the two dround pins firing a continuity alert.

This might be electronics 101 but i thought i would share that and find out if any one had any reliable test to debug what could have gone wrong after you have fried a ramps board or a stepper motor driver.
Re: First thing to blow on a RAMPS Board
November 20, 2014 03:49PM
Two pins are directly connected to the ground plane according to the schematic. Two more are connected to ground through capacitors. As such, those may or may not have continuity depending on their existing state. Several other pins could be connected ultimately to ground through one of the resistors, so depending on what your meter's threshold is for determining "open" or "short", they might read as connected. Overall, I don't think you'll tell much from just a continuity test.
Re: First thing to blow on a RAMPS Board
November 21, 2014 02:04AM
smiling smiley thanks cdru. That makes sense
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login