Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Potentially toasted stepper? Y-axis loses steps in one direction

Posted by The_MGp 
Potentially toasted stepper? Y-axis loses steps in one direction
May 29, 2015 11:58AM
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking the forum for a long time and just recently finished final assembly on a semi-customized MendelMax 2. Right now i'm in the process of calibrating everything and I'm concerned I left calibrating the stepper currents until last...

If the printer has been on for a little while (10 min?) the Y axis will lose steps in the - direction on non-print moves. The very first calibration cube print didn't see this problem, but revisiting the same g-code after spending time doing bed leveling and making sure everything is square results in a print where the first few layers are square, then they start drifting off in the Y direction. The Y stepper is very hot to the touch, hot enough I can't keep my fingers on it. If I try to dial back the current at the stepper driver, it stops moving in the Y- direction (though Y+ will still work).

I've tried varying the tension on the belt which may have been over tight to begin with. I've tried playing with the current as noted above. I haven't done much on changing up the acceleration/max speed, though i'd like to be able to keep that as high as possible.

Since this only seems to be a problem in one direction, i'm worried that I blew the stepper. Thoughts? Debug steps? Is it possible to re-built steppers?

Thanks!
Re: Potentially toasted stepper? Y-axis loses steps in one direction
May 29, 2015 01:40PM
If the stepper motor is moving consistently at all, it isn't blown, although it's possible that it is binding when hot. Check that the Y axis moves freely in both directions when the printer is not powered, and try replacing the stepper driver module that drives the Y motor.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 06:32PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Potentially toasted stepper? Y-axis loses steps in one direction
May 29, 2015 03:10PM
I'm concerned about the binding at hot. Will try swapping out motors with one of the Z axis motors (since they don't seen to need as high torque nor get as hot) and swap stepper drivers to see if either helps.

Thanks for the input!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login