Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to buy RampsFD v2 ?

Posted by tolstoi 
Where to buy RampsFD v2 ?
December 31, 2014 03:25PM
Hello guys i want to build my new 3d printer with the arduino due and an RAMPS-FD board and it seems like the v1 of that board isnt working well ^^ so i searched the v2 version but it seems like no one is selling it all that i could find is v1 , would be nice if someone could provide a link to an shop where i can buy it .
thx smiling smiley
Re: Where to buy RampsFD v2 ?
January 01, 2015 10:22AM
How about a link that explains why you will probably never find it?

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/deltabot/uxcvYBFvtSo/xajDW14dFOQJ

RADDS is still under active support and development, and is readily available in Europe.

Of course, if you still have your heart set on RAMPS-FD V2, bobc was nice enough to leave the design files in his github repository:

https://github.com/bobc/bobc_hardware/tree/master/RAMPS-FD

Note that they have not been updated in almost a year now, but don not let that stop you from putting together a group buy and running a small batch if you really want one and cannot find it anywhere else.....
January 01, 2015 01:28PM
ok thx smiling smiley
April 08, 2015 04:44AM
How to recognize a RAMPS-FD Version 1 by 2
I notice that there are fuses on a removable and this version two?

www.saviot.com Stampante Prusa I3 R2.2 By Nicola P.
Ramps 1.4 Con FW MarlinKimba Fusore HE IeC 1.75mm Con Flusso Canalizzatore Estrusori BullDog XL
Piano maggiorato 240*311mm pilotato da SSR 24V con letto scaldante autocostruito
Lavori in Corso Prossimetro Autolivellamento Z Gestione Remota Raspberry PI 2 con OctoPrint
Rilevamento ottico Fine Filo Illuminazione e Visione AreaStampa Remotata In costruzione Trafilatore TL-Plastic
April 08, 2015 07:31AM
The link that you provided is for the only RAMPS-FD board in mass production...the Geeetech one based on the *flawed* v1 design. For reasons cited above, it is unlikely that we will *ever* see a RAMPS-FD v2 in production. Even the original designer of RAMPS-FD has thrown his support behind the RADDS board.....
April 08, 2015 08:09AM
Ok Thanks for the clarification

So useless to try is this unique Ramps for Arduino TWO in production

Having already an Arduino Two and a 1.4 Ramps with Drivers

I wanted to upgrade and I was curious to try the system 32Bit

The cost would be for me just to shield New Ramps
And I was looking for what was best as a shield for Arduino Two

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2015 08:09AM by saviothecnic.

Ramps 1.4 Con FW MarlinKimba Fusore HE IeC 1.75mm Con Flusso Canalizzatore Estrusori BullDog XL
Piano maggiorato 240*311mm pilotato da SSR 24V con letto scaldante autocostruito
Lavori in Corso Prossimetro Autolivellamento Z Gestione Remota Raspberry PI 2 con OctoPrint
Rilevamento ottico Fine Filo Illuminazione e Visione AreaStampa Remotata In costruzione Trafilatore TL-Plastic
April 08, 2015 10:08AM
Hi saviothecnic,

If you want to try a 32-bit firmware with an Arduino Due, you can modify a standard $7 RAMPS 1.4 clone, take a look at my thread more or less at the bottom of the page, the modifications are really simple and anybody can do them in less than half an hour with a bit of soldering skill.

As for the firmwares that will run on a modified RAMPS 1.4 on top of the Due, you have three choices:

Wurstnase's fork of Marlin
Magokimbra's fork of Marlin
Repetier
April 08, 2015 10:10AM
The RADDS board also plugs directly onto the Arduino DUE board, and is sold in Europe unless something has changed recently. (I have not seen Angelo posting recently.) confused smiley

You can most certainly buy the RAMPS-FD v1 and make a few well-documented modifications to solve the safety problems. There is also a recent thread here by someone who took a regular 5V RAMPS 8-bit board and made it work with the 3.3V DUE.

Nobody is stopping someone from downloading the RAMPS-FD v2 plans and having boards made. However, since the RepRapPro DUET board uses the same processor as the DUE, those who do not already have a DUE board may find it cheaper to just buy the DUET package rather than the DUE + RAMPS-FD (or RADDS).

I gave up waiting for RAMPS-FD v2 in April of last year, and have since moved on to the 32-bit Smoothieware ecosystem. There are Smoothie-compatible boards/designs from at least four different manufacturers, and no worries about long-term support with multiple vendors to choose from.....
April 08, 2015 10:34AM
Thanks but I do not want to touch change my current Ramps 1.4 that works well

I prefer to play with a separate system, leaving good as Compione worker secure my current ramps 1.4 and Arduino Mega 2560

Since I already have an Arduino DUE home I bought a year ago
for a project and never used poiu for me would try only the choice of a shield

What problems did the FD Ramps I posted in links?

Radds find none on Ebay and I seem to have less than IO Ramps FD

We currently use with much pleasure MarlinKimba and certainly if I try another system I will continue to use this system

If I would not have anything I would have definitely taken a AlligatorBoard
But having already home Arduino Two and Drivers 8825 in stock
For me the cost of test and minimum only shield
And of course before you buy better info ask how I am doing: D

For some device I can use a 5V DC-DC Step Down

If I want to use with SD Full graphic LCD I use now about 1.4 Ramps
serves only this adapter correct?

PS sorry if I write bad are Italian use google translator Automatic

Thank You

April 11, 2015 01:05AM
RampsFD V1 had issues where if the software on the Due crashed, the heaters would remain enabled and you could end up with a fire or meltdown if your machine was left unattended.

There were a number of other issues. The board was NOT finalised (it was still beta), yet Geeetech still continue to sell it, despite numerous attempts by bobc and myself asking them to stop selling it. Note also that the first few boards Geeetech made didn't have suitable components on them. They used PTC fuses instead of automotive blade fuses, and also used the wrong FETs used to drive heaters.

FYI: bobc was the main guy behind the now defunct RAMPS-FD project and I contributed a fair bit of work as well, but not as much as bobc.

You most likely won't find RADDS on eBay. Unlike RAMPS-FD, the design is not 100% open. In some ways this has been a good thing, as it's stopped companies like Geeetech making lots and lots of dodgy clones that have problems or flaws.

PS: I do NOT advise that anyone should buy anything off Geeetech. My opinions above give you some idea how they make things, that they don't offer any support, and they don't listen when there are serious flaws in what they are selling that could result in major injury (fire). In short: Avoid!

PPS: I am still committed to open source, but sometimes having a closed development process (but open designs once tested and released) does make sense.
April 13, 2015 02:28AM
Ok Thanks for the clarification.
So the advice is NOT Buy Ramps-FD please secure OK
So as a shield for Arduino TWO thing recommended and where I can find
I am looking for something to connect to the Arduino TWO I already at home
as also Drivewrs 8825 I have now mounted on 1.4 Ramps
I am looking for a shield and not an all in one solution
The Radds sure there are other similar shields?
Some links to where they sell?

Or is it safer to change Ramps 1.4 to work with Arduino DUE ?

thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 02:32AM by saviothecnic.

April 13, 2015 06:29AM
Here is a new option:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3D-print-unit-new-reference-SMART-Ramps-For-Arduino-Due-Like-Ramps-FD-RADDS-AZTEEG-MINI/32213624860.html

WARNING - Nobody that I know has tested this SMART RAMPS board yet, so do not leave your printer unattended in case it catches on fire!

RADDS v1.1:
https://youprintin3d.de/elektronik/32bit/85/radds-board-v1.1.html

RADDS v1.2:
https://youprintin3d.de/elektronik/32bit/384/radds-v1.2-12v/24v.html
June 01, 2015 01:01PM
It seems that the only way to get RAMPS-FD v2 is to DIY.

PCB from here is a bit pricey:
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/aShozohP

They are more realistic:
iteadstudio ~20 USD / 10 pieces

I haven't use any of them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login