Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Opto bed level with mechanical endstop as well?

Posted by RGN01 
Opto bed level with mechanical endstop as well?
July 12, 2015 10:49AM
I want to add an opto 'bed level' unit to my Prusa i3, RAMPS v1.4 system as I implement this [www.thingiverse.com] - but would like to retain the existing mechanical endstop as a safety because the opto probe will be withdrawn when printing.

I can't find any reference to running both together but am sure I can't be the first to try this! Is it possible? Could anyone direct me to information on how to do it, please?

Thanks.

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2015 10:50AM by RGN01.
Re: Opto bed level with mechanical endstop as well?
July 13, 2015 01:36AM
I'm considering using the optical endstop on the bed leveling via a mechanical endstop (i.e. connecting them in series) to do this.

Appreciate any thoughts or pointers that could help.

Thanks

Richard
July 13, 2015 05:59PM
I've measured my opto endstop and get about 3.2V open and 5V triggered so am considering a circuit like the below to get the benefit of auto bed leveling and mechanical endstop.

Any thoughts?

Richard
Attachments:
open | download - Probe.png (8.4 KB)
July 14, 2015 02:48AM
I found that the opto endstop I have didn't work as the 3.2V was too high to be recognised as a low logic level. I removed the LED and now have essentially the full 5V range and it works so I'll start testing the wiring diagram I have shown - the difference being that 3.2V is now 0.14V

Richard
July 14, 2015 02:48PM
I knocked this circuit up, as well as a simple NPN transistor switch to feed an external LED for visual notification of endstop triggering and - it works just fine!

One step closer to finishing my Thing [www.thingiverse.com]

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login