Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Arduino Due + RAMPS-FD, firmware recommendation?

Posted by uhrheber 
Arduino Due + RAMPS-FD, firmware recommendation?
July 15, 2015 08:41AM
Hi.
I have an Arduini Due and a RAMPS-FD board. Also stepper modules with DRV8825.
I want to convert a Makerbot clone (Weistek WT150) to something that can read gcode and not only s3g.
As the printer shows nasty resonant noise when printing fast, I want to use 1/32 microsteps to make it quieter.
Also I want to ad automatic print bed levelling using a proximity sensor.

I'm not a noob when it comes to microcontrollers, I have programmers, debuggers, I can solder SMD, etc., so I have no problems with patching and compiling source code.
But I'd like to have a stable firmware that supports the RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller, that supports automatic print bed levelling, that can change speed and extrusion rate on the fly, that can do 32 microsteps, and that plays well together with OctoPrint.

What would you recommend?
Re: Arduino Due + RAMPS-FD, firmware recommendation?
July 15, 2015 12:11PM
Marlin4due . . . the base port was by bobc, and a boatload of recent work by Wurstnasse, and I have also done some tweaking for the RAMPS-FD combo (still a few quirks I had to address) and have everything you describe working, and am installing the combo in my Kossel today (and hopefully no other issues turn up). Check the development firmware section for a thread on this project . . .

Some folks describe a concern for a potential heater runaway, and there are published mods to the board for that, as well as a trivial mod for thermistor stability. The heater problem was reported testing with a Chinese Due clone . . . with an actual Italian Arduino Due, I can't duplicate the problem here, so have not made those changes . . . so be certain that you test. You can also trivially add an EEPROM to this config - 1 chip, 1 small proto board piece, and 1 4 pin header, and simply plug it on.

This build is based on Marlin 1.0.3-dev, so not sure what yiur definition of 'stable' is . . . I run 1.0.3-dev on my Mega now, with zero issues, and better results than the 'stable' releases I tried . . .

- Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2015 12:15PM by tadawson.
July 17, 2015 05:33AM
Thank you, that should point me in the right direction.

About the heater runaway issue:
As I'm a designer of automotive safety-critical hardware, I already thought about increasing the safety of RAMPS electronics.
As the cheapest solution, I'd just take an additional Arduini mini or nano board, and use it as temperature limiter and intelligent watchdog.
July 17, 2015 12:22PM
FYI, still having issues with the LCD. The 'stock' code won't run it at all, and going to the U8glib stock definition gives perfect display, but the printer has worse pauses and stutters than with a Mega . . . Still working on that, but the rest seems good. Repetier supports this hardware as well, and while I have not printed with it, I did load it formfun, and all worked there as well . . .

- Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login