Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to test RAMP for component short from endstop

Posted by diogo 
Where to test RAMP for component short from endstop
October 11, 2015 08:29PM
None of my three mechanical endstops are registering when pressed in Repetier, though the motors are running fine.
I know I probably shorted the board by incorrectly wiring the endstops for a brief period when I was fixing some crossed over wires and plugged the x-min endstop incorrectly.

But the question is:
How do some parts of the board work and others not? Which component on the board is likely the fried culprit? And can any potentially unaffected, unused pins be reprogrammed to serve for the endstop?
I have a multimeter and patience.

Also, might I have fried anything on the Arduino Mega underneath and how would I verify?

Thanks!
Re: Where to test RAMP for component short from endstop
October 11, 2015 10:11PM
endstops just short a mega io pin to gnd some also pull it high to 5v, but most just use internal pullups for that.

if they are dead... its the mega (or looks at wrong pins in firmware)

with megas being so cheap these days its not worth the time to even test.

But if you insist, see [www.arduino.cc]
but use d2,d3,d14,d15, d18,d19 for xmin, xmax, ymin,ymax and zmin and zmax respectively

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2015 10:12PM by Dust.
October 12, 2015 05:11AM
When the motors are still running, the 5V regulator is OK on the arduino.
Do you have a beeper function on your multimeter? Then check the endstops if they are still OK.
Usually you only need three of the endstop input pins, if you happen to have grilled one of them, switch over to an unused one and change the pin-mapping in your firmware. ( pins.h most likely )
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2015 05:11AM by o_lampe.
October 12, 2015 08:26PM
I tested it with the schematic you linked me. I go to press the button and the LED turns on when my finger is still hovering over the button. This is true for every pin it seems. Is this normal behavior, to register my finger's charge as a high input? Or is a component that calculates that threshold melted?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login