Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"MAXTEMP triggered" when heating above 40°C

Posted by lurkus 
"MAXTEMP triggered" when heating above 40°C
October 31, 2015 11:03PM
This is my first experience with a 3D printer and I'm absolutely clueless, so any help will be appreciated.

I have a He3D XI3 kit that I've just assembled. I followed this tutorial to upload the Marlin firmware.

The printer is connected to a Raspberry Pi 2 running OctoPi. It connects just fine and it seems to be displaying the proper temperatures on the OctoPrint and the built-in LCD.

I manually set the bed temp to 60° and it worked just fine. I then set the hotend to 180°C and it began to rise as expected, however, around 45°C I receive the following error:

Recv: Error:0
Recv: : Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
Changing monitoring state from 'Connecting' to 'Error: 0: Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !

I think the connection between the printer and the OctoPrint is closed because the temperature stops updating. But the built-in LCD shows the hotend temp as well over 350°C. I used an infrared thermometer and it's ready around 45°C.

At this point I restarted the printer and it powered back up without issue. I tried setting the hotend temp through OctoPrint at 60°C and I received the same error. Now everytime I restart the printer, it immediately says "Err: MAXTEMP" on the LCD and the hotend temp is displayed as over 300°C.

I'm not sure what to try at this point. This is as far as I've gotten with the printer. I'm not even sure how to find out of the motors are working properly. I started testing the hotend and heated bed because the controls were right there on the front page of OctoPrint.

Any advice?
Re: "MAXTEMP triggered" when heating above 40°C
October 31, 2015 11:08PM
Thermistors work by varying resistance with temperature. What sounds like is happening is that the thermistor is broken or incorrectly connected. Go ahead and buy a new thermistor for a couple of dollars and swap it out.

Oh and when a "Fatal" error like thermal runaway or maxtemp is triggered the printer is put in a suspended state and Octoprint no longer will receive updates.

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
October 31, 2015 11:10PM
Also when the thermistor is not connected I get a minted error. It sounds like you have a circuit with no resistance whatsoever. Pick up another thermistor.

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
November 01, 2015 12:42PM
Thanks gmckee! I've ordered a replacement and I'll post back when I break something else confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login