Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X-axis: Movement in just one direction possible

Posted by Alexander_Prusai3 
X-axis: Movement in just one direction possible
May 11, 2014 12:56PM
Hello,

I build up my first 3D printer, it is a Reprap Prusa i3, with the Sainsmart Electronics kit (Ramps 1.4. etc.), which I bought at amazon It is this kit

I configurated Marlin (V1 from Erik Zalm) to my settings and used Mac Pronterface (Printrun Version 2014 3.10) to control the printer.
Now my Problem:
My X axis is just moving in one direction. That means:
If I press „+X“ within Pronterface, it moves to the right (in all stepping modes – 0.1, 1, 10mm etc).
Right direction is the opposite direction of where I mechanicaly located the X-endstop.
If I press „-X“ within Pronterface nothing happend – either I’m selecting 0.1, 1 or 10mm steps.
If I home the x-axis the following happend:
Several seconds nothing is happening. Then, out of the blue, the x-carriage is moving several mm to the right and stops. After another several seconds, the same hapend again...

All my other axis (Y, Z, E) are working correct and the endstops on these axis (Y, Z) are also working fine.
I have the endstops wired and connected to the right pins (X, Y,Z min) on the Ramps board.
(Like on the wiring example you can see on the reprap wiki for ramps 1.4)

To find the problem, I checked the status of the endstops with M119 – all are indicated in „open“ status within pronterface. I checked every endstop manually if there is a triggered signal – all endstops are showing this change if I push to them by hand.
After If done that, I checked the X-stepper motor by connecting it to the y-axis pins on ramps. Result is, that the stepper motor is ok, it can be moved left and right when I control it via pronterfaces y-axis control panel.
Then I changed the x-stepper driver to be sure, that there is everything fine. Even with the new stepper driver X-axis is moving only in one direction...

What I’m doing wrong?

It would be great to get help from you guys.
Thanks in advance...
Alexander
Re: X-axis: Movement in just one direction possible
May 11, 2014 03:35PM
Hello, its me again.

I search the web a bit about the topic and found two similar threads in different forums #1 and #2.
Both indicated that the problem is maybe a wrong voltage on the X-Dir pin.
I checked the voltage on the pins and I measured 3,8V and 0,97V when I switch in pronterface the directions. This result is not what it should be - as far as I know it should be 5V and 0V...
I cross checked the signals on the other axis (y and z) if changes made via pronterface - they have signals like 0,8mV and 4,9V.

Will that mean that there is a wrong stepper driver, or a bad Ramps oder a wrong Arduino soldering?

It would be nice to get help here...

Best regards
Alexander
May 12, 2014 04:50PM
Hello Group,

I checked today the Sainsmart Ramps 1.4. Board.
And surprise: I found out that the X-Dir Pin (A1) has connection to the pins A0 and A2 somewhere under the pin sockets...
Because the Board has also a defective F2 fuse I ordered a different(JMT) at amazon. Now I'm going to try to get back my money for the Sainsmart Rampsboard...

Best
Alexander

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2014 04:51PM by Alexander_Prusai3.
November 09, 2015 10:50PM
hello
i have the same problem with y-axis
plz give me solutiion i am newbies .
November 24, 2015 02:34AM
Make sure your endstops are configured correctly: [www.instructables.com]
Then make sure your motion direction is setup correctly as well: [www.instructables.com]

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login