Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS 1.4 Servo not working

Posted by timo 
RAMPS 1.4 Servo not working
October 18, 2013 04:42PM
Hey,

I have a RAMPS 1.4 and all works well when connected to both 12v and USB, but if I disconnect the USB the LCD screen light is flickering on and no text. I have checked and D1 is installed and I am running it from a 12v 30amp power supply. Any ideas what I should check? I have just been running off USB for a while now but I am trying to hook up a servo now and it isn't getting power and I think this is the cause.

Edit: I have LCD screen working now. I upped my 12v power supply up to output just over 15v and now the LCD screen works when USB is disconnected, but still no servo movement. So that may not be the problem. Any ideas why my servo is not moving? I have configured it in the firmware and I am using m280 p0 s60 command to try and move it but nothing. It is connected to D11.

Thanks
Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2013 07:54PM by timo.
Re: RAMPS 1.4 Servo not working
October 18, 2013 10:41PM
The 5V output to the servos aren't directly connected to 5V, but to an input marked 5V next to the PS_ON input on the RAMPS board.

Because almost everything 5V runs off the regulator on the Arduino, it's possible to overload the regulator with too many devices

Supply the 5V input with 5V (preferably from a PC power supply) and your servos will work.
October 18, 2013 11:36PM
Thanks Cefiar for the info. So you suggest I cut D1 and supply 5v via the 5v VCC connector?

I don't currently have a spare PC power supply, so will have to find a 5v power supply.

Tim
October 19, 2013 12:58AM
You don't need to cut D1.

The 5V pin for the Servos is completely disconnected from the Arduino.

If the servo has a very small current draw, you could use the Arduino to power it.

In this case, connect the pin marked VCC to the pin marked 5V. They're both next to the PS-ON input/reset switch.

You don't need to make any other change.
November 27, 2015 12:16PM
Hi I do have the same issue as TIMO and I have similar setup.

I've been planning to connect LM2596 to 5V pin on Ramps 1.4 board next to the PS_ON pin.

But since I'm really new to the electronics, I just don't know where to connect (-) lead of LM2596.

Is there any suggestion?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login