Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help driving mosfet using ramps D8 output

Posted by bryanbdp 
Need help driving mosfet using ramps D8 output
December 18, 2015 05:30PM
Hi. Burned up a couple low end SSR (relays) controlling my heated bed (400w 12v).
I want to use one or two IRF3205 mosfets to control the load.
I'd like to use the ramps D8 pins to control the mosfet that actually controls the load.
Can setup mosfet with load on either side.

My issue is, D8 has an always on 12+, and switches the low side. If it switched the high side, it would be easy.
I am not sure it the negative side floats or not when not switched on.
So I need to invert the logic of the D8 output, and supply 12V to turn the mosfet fully on, when the ramps D8 negative pin goes low.

I'm not sure if I need a driver, or if the onboard mosfet could handle the turn on rush current. If i use a driver circuit, I still have to invert the logic somehow.
I'm sure there is an easy or elegant way to do this, but I'm out of my depth.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bryan
Re: Need help driving mosfet using ramps D8 output
January 04, 2016 09:37PM
Ok you can do the trick with two small signal transistors and 5 resistors.

You dont need to get the mosfet out of the ramps, you can use the outpot connector.
From the right side: Inside the Ramps is the D9 microcontroller output.
Then comes the Mosfet on Ramps board. This is like "open collector", you need a pull-up-resistor to get highlevel-signals too.
The pullup resistor is the vertical one.
To limit the current on the fist transistor basis, you need to have a resistor. 10k limit the current at about 1mA, this is enough. Little transistors have high gain around 200 to 550x.
This first transistor do invert your signal only.

Now the next one, you know, limit the current..
Use a little signal type transistor here too, it doesnt matter what exact transistor, nearly every little one does the job.
The load resistor here is 470 Ohm, but u can use a 10k here too. It discharges the gate.

We have on heated bed only slow frequencys, so its not time critical.

Your mosfet irf 3205 will have around 0.35V voltage loss (drain to source) at your 40 ampere power from heated bed.
So you get 14 Watt of heat here.
You will need a cooler for this, at least 8 K/W for free-air-cooling or your mosfet will burn down. (Smaller K/W values are better)
You can use a smaller one if you place this in the air from a little computer fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 09:38PM by gafu.

CTC 3D Drucker, fabrikator II mini, ultimaker-diy,
Modifizierter Prusa I3 Boxed.
Baubericht im Blog: [blog.gafu.de]
Re: Need help driving mosfet using ramps D8 output
January 05, 2016 02:53AM
If you need 40W of bed power, choosing to run it from 12V is a poor design decision. You will need very thick wires to it, and switching 33A is not easy. My choice for a bed of that size would be to use AC mains voltage and a zero crossing DC-AC SSR. If mains voltage scares you, then you should at least use a 24V heater not 12V, with a low voltage drop DC-DC SSR to switch it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login