Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Switch mode power supply for RAMPS (high inrush current)

Posted by MilloMille 
Switch mode power supply for RAMPS (high inrush current)
September 14, 2016 09:25AM
Hello guys,
I'm thinking about getting a Switch mode power supply for my RAMPS with Arduino and Nema17 steppers.

The specs look pretty good and the Price is amazing. What i also like that there is no wiring needed like when you use a PSU.
But what worries me is the high inrush current. According to the specs, my power supply would produce up to 40A inrush current. According to the datasheet of the 5A fuse on the RAMPS, it can take a maximum of 40A (The fuse used on the RAMPS board is the MF-R500)

Do you think I could run into problems? I mean the fuse is reusable but it still would be annoying if i burn the fuse too often.
Re: Switch mode power supply for RAMPS (high inrush current)
September 14, 2016 12:51PM
The current output of a power supply doesn't affect what device it's connected to. The power supply can put out 1000A and the RAMPS will still only use up to 5-20A on the dc bus, depending on what it's controlling. What really matters is the voltage output.
Re: Switch mode power supply for RAMPS (high inrush current)
October 14, 2016 10:55PM
if you feel inrush is a problem use an inrush current limiter looks similar to a large thermistor Ametherm makes them its sort of a time delay surge suppressor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login