Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors not moving

Posted by Aschie4589 
Motors not moving
September 29, 2016 01:05PM
Hello everyone,
I was hoping you could point me to a solution here... I've been messing about with RAMPS for a while, and have burned quite a few of them for impure voltages going around in the arduino while connecting to USB. Since I don't know how to solve it, I've finally decided to resolve myself and tackle the issue from another side. I took a working RAMPS with Arduino and removed D1, so that I would have a different power source for the two boards.
I've programmed the board but now the motors aren't turning.
Bed and extruder thermistors and heaters work just fine. But motors don't even respond to the commands. It doesn't matter if it's a print simulation or a manual move.
If I measure the voltage on the Pololu drivers I get about 12V for the Motors Voltage, which makes sense as they are powered through the RAMPs supply. If I measure the voltage for the drivers themselves, I get 5V, and this means they are connected to the 5V rail on the arduino. It all makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is the fact that nothing moves, not even a small jerk. Motors aren't receiving current.
Is it a common problem? Something like "you didn't connect X to Y"?
Thanks in advance for your help...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 01:07PM by Aschie4589.
Re: Motors not moving
October 14, 2016 10:59PM
Just one thought make sure both supplies share a common ground
Re: Motors not moving
October 15, 2016 12:20AM
its common if you have the steppers miss wired

the steppers we use are two coils, the ramps pins are 2b,2a,1a,1b the coils must be plugged in to either 2b and 2a or 1a and 1b

eg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login