Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble Connecting 3 wire endstop to 2 wire board connection

Posted by hugetoughguy 
Trouble Connecting 3 wire endstop to 2 wire board connection
January 08, 2017 09:37PM
I'm having a problem with a melzi board replacement. My old board was garbage from the manufacturer so I had to purchase my own. Upon the new board coming, the 3 prong terminals have been replaced by 2 prong terminals for the endstops. How do I connect a 3 wire endstop to a 2 wire terminal? Is there any way? I have a VCC, ground and signal coming from the endstop and the board only has 2 connections for each endstop.

So is there a way to make this happen or do I have to just buy new analog endstops instead? I would appreciate info anyone could offer on this. Thanks.
Re: Trouble Connecting 3 wire endstop to 2 wire board connection
January 09, 2017 04:18AM
I'd go for black and yellow wires ( GND and signal ), but without knowing anything about the new controller, it's just a shot in the dark...
January 09, 2017 04:58AM
1) we need info on the new controller board (so we know what it has, signal + what gnd or 5v or something else)
2) we need info on what type of endstops you have

mechanical endstops can be made to work on two wires... though if they have a indicator led that probably wont work anymore, needs power, or perhaps you could break that out and power it from elsewhere... depends on your board.
January 11, 2017 08:24AM
Here is the new board the melzi pro

Here is the old connector

Here is the new connector for the same endstop

Here are my endstop types

A closer detail of the endstop wiring

So what are your thoughts on connecting the 3 wires to 2 terminals?
January 11, 2017 09:08PM
Can be done.

Use red and yellow wires if your want normally closed endstops. (I recommend this)
you can use black and yellow wires if you really want normally open endstops

NB the LED indicator on the endstop will not work now (don't worry about it, its not needed)

NB with two wire endstops you need to enable pullups in firmware Ie find and enable #define ENDSTOPPULLUPS in configuration.h (presuming your using marlin)

So wire it in, connect to your printer. make sure the endstops are not being hit.
Send the machine a M119 command and check the endstosp status. It should say open.
Now hold down the endstop with a finger and send annother M119 at the machine, it should say triggered

If these are backwards (ie says open when endstop switch is pressed) you need to invert the endstops in firmware
eg if its X endstop find #define X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING if its true make it false, if its false make it true

repeat for all your endstops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 09:11PM by Dust.
January 12, 2017 02:51AM
Excellent, thanks so much. I appreciate it very much! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login