Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is This An Authentic Arduino?

Posted by Lodorenos 
Is This An Authentic Arduino?
August 18, 2012 05:39AM
I recently bought this online, but I'm unsure whether it's an authentic Arduino.
Here are some pictures:

And

--

Charles S.
Software Engineer
Prusa Mendel I2, RAMPS 1.4, Marlin 1.0 R2, Pronterface, Slic3r
Re: Is This An Authentic Arduino?
August 18, 2012 05:56AM
Where did you but it from?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 18, 2012 06:27AM
Www.gadgets3d.com seller on eBay.

--

Charles S.
Software Engineer
August 18, 2012 06:55AM
Well the site and the logos, etc claim it is, rather than a clone. I don't know how you would tell for sure because reprapdiscount made some that look exactly the same.

I don't think it makes any difference from a technical point of view. I think all clones use exactly the same circuit because it is open source. They shouldn't use the logos and the name Arduino though. The other two clones that I have are blank on the bottom.

August 18, 2012 02:16PM
there is a guy from that store on the forums, i am sure it would not hurt to ask him directly, in the forums. it would at the very least help keep them honest.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
August 18, 2012 06:52PM
It's a clone, actual arduinos say "made in Italy" not "design in Italy"?
I have one identical to that, and I have a couple of tosduinos and 1 actual authentic arduino.
Functionally there is no difference between any of them.
August 19, 2012 03:43AM
Sorry I didn't spot the "design in Italy". They are technically counterfeit then as they shouldn't use the Arduino name and logo.

August 19, 2012 04:02AM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry I didn't spot the "design in Italy". They
> are technically counterfeit then as they shouldn't
> use the Arduino name and logo.

I'm not quite sure what is so difficult about following trademark rules, especially in this case. Generally if I am going to buy a cheap Arduino-compatible from China, I would expect it to be a clone. So adding the Arduino trademark is not a value-add. Maybe some people would value it more though, thinking it was a genuine Arduino.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
RAF
August 19, 2012 12:21PM
Hello,

We are not produce or soldered this Arduino board (all Arduino which we have was bought from 3rd part), we not written anywhere that this Arduino is ORIGINAL GENUINE ARDUINO. This board is only addon to RAMPS which we sell. We tested many Arduino boards, with graphic, design, brand etc. and this one which customer gets from us working without any problems.

Some time ago my firend bought 200 or 400 pcs (I dont remember now how much exactly) Arduino from the official distributors which is one the list at www.arduino.cc and all Arduino boards which he gets was a copy. So in my opinion at this moment is very hard to say which is original. For us the most important is it that our customers gets tested and working products.

If someone want to buy original Arduino from product website can order only RAMPS board, we not forcing anyone to buy from us only the full sets RAMPS.

Best Regards,
Rafal
GADGETS3D

www.gadgets3d.com - parts for your 3D printer
GADGETS3D on eBay - parts for your 3D printer
August 19, 2012 03:38PM
thank you for being honest raf, but i think it is important to allot of people on here that people respect arduino, please talk to your supplier to fix this issue, that would go a long way for your customers here.

i have no issues buying a arduino clone, so long has they are honest about it, and not trying to just make a copy.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
anurisms, nedcoun
August 21, 2012 08:10AM
Hello
This is massimo banzi from Arduino

that board is a counterfeit Arduino board.

Rafal an official distributor will never sell you fakes. if you have proof let us know and we'll sue them today.

BTW The Arduinos that you sell on your website are counterfeit too. One of the boards even claims to be made in italy!!

I would advise you to remove them now.

Massimo
August 21, 2012 08:20AM
Hello from Arduino

That board is a counterfeit Arduino board.

Dear GADGETS3D If you know of any official distributor selling fakes please let us know and we'll remove them now.
The "Arduino" products you sell on your website are counterfeits as well. I advise you to remove them now.

Massimo Banzi
co-founder Arduino
August 21, 2012 09:48PM
I think I have to agree with the general concensus in the thread, Rafal, that your website is misleading regarding the Arduino boards. While you are correct that you do not explicitly say that the boards are original, you don't say that it is counterfeit either. As an example, if I go to a car dealer and buy a Honda, complete with Honda badges, I expect it to be a Honda! The onus is not on the buyer to prove that it is authentic, it rests with the vendor to prove its legitimacy.

I looked at your website and there is NO mention of the Arduino boards being counterfeits (there is a big difference between clone and counterfeit). How am I supposed to know that what you are selling is not a counterfeit board? Look, there's not much we, as a forum, can do about this but I must say that you are doing yourself a HUGE disservice by selling known counterfeit boards as originals. A lot of people rely on reviews in this community and all someone has to do search 3DGADGETS, find this thread and get a bad taste in their mouth about your store. You have a lot of competition out there so I would recommend you try and address some of these issues:

1. Label the RAMPS 1.4 kit on your site as containing a COUNTERFEIT Arduino board. This may open you up to some trademark infringements though for selling know counterfeits.

2. Work with the Arduino manufacturer (Massimo Banzi?) to rectify the situation.

3. Potentially offer customers who have already bought the kit an exchange for an original Arduino.

Your site has pretty good prices for the parts you are selling, and a month ago I was contemplating a purchase from you, but at the moment I have to say that I am a little leary of making a purchase as I am not really sure if your descriptions are accurate. If you had made a note of the Arduino boards being counterfeits I don't think many people would have cared. I can only speculate on motives but I assume the reason that you didn't label them as clones is because they bear the Arduino silk screening which is trademarked. I would recommend, if you haven't already, taking a look at Arduino's Clone info page (also a good read for anyone else). I think Arduino are willing to work with you so I would at least get in touch with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 09:53PM by archistrong.
August 22, 2012 04:16AM
This thread has caused a lot of concerns about Arduinos. My intent of this thread was not to damage sales of any company in any way. I only wanted to know whether the Arduino I had was original or not. After seeing the reply from the Arduino co founder (I hope that is legitimate, and not someone just using his name), I feel that I might have caused problems for the seller I bought from. I apologize for this. Since you yourself are not producing the counterfeit boards, I think the correct course of action would be to report the company that develops these boards to the Arduino project founders so correct action can be taken.

As a finishing note, I would like to say that the electronics received work EXCELLENT and I have had no problems thus far. The electronics they sell are great, look professionally soldered, and arrived well packed and shipped very quickly (3 days from China to NL!). I am happy with their services and I would buy from them again if I were to need more RepRap electronics. I think buying the Arduino board from arduino.cc and RAMPS+Pololu's from Gadgets3D would be the way to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 04:17AM by Lodorenos.

--

Charles S.
Software Engineer
August 22, 2012 05:12AM

I feel that I might have caused problems for the seller I bought from

If this is a seller which doesn't play the rules, I whouldn't bother about it. There are a number of copycats out there, making money by selling, leaving the hard work (and user support) to the original designers. Such freerider behaviour doesn't exactly encourage to improve the products.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 22, 2012 08:03AM
hello

I can certify that I am Massimo Banzi from Arduino.
I am in with 3DGADGETS and we are resolving the issue.

thanks for the comments
August 28, 2012 11:21AM
well i know for sure my first purchased "arduino" is a clone, ebay seller womarts. its only USD 22. and i bought a real arduino (USD47++) too just to compare both in real ops where possible grinning smiley
August 28, 2012 11:24AM
oh god, you are so lucky ... 3 days ... mine went around the world ... LOL almost nearly a month hahaha

basically just to share, for a person like me that is starting out and not paying much attention to who is real, clone or downright fake (totally not working PCB ), and only paying attention to buyer comments on what works and what does not is the first impression, and then i will also compare price.

to be honest, if whoever is making the clone boards can buy the ATMEL chips (which is the real CPU right?) and fab the complete PCB and assembly, then who is the party that sold them the ATMEL CPU in the first place? or is the CPU too a china copy? or are ATMEL CPU/MCUs are a common part but just that "arduino" is a copyrighted "assembled" product? im just a curious beginner in reprap.

Lodorenos Wrote:
> This thread has caused a lot of concerns about
> Arduinos. My intent of this thread was not to
> damage sales of any company in any way. I only
> wanted to know whether the Arduino I had was
> original or not. After seeing the reply from the
> Arduino co founder (I hope that is legitimate, and
> not someone just using his name), I feel that I
> might have caused problems for the seller I bought
> from. I apologize for this. Since you yourself are
> not producing the counterfeit boards, I think the
> correct course of action would be to report the
> company that develops these boards to the Arduino
> project founders so correct action can be taken.
>
> As a finishing note, I would like to say that the
> electronics received work EXCELLENT and I have had
> no problems thus far. The electronics they sell
> are great, look professionally soldered, and
> arrived well packed and shipped very quickly (3
> days from China to NL!). I am happy with their
> services and I would buy from them again if I were
> to need more RepRap electronics. I think buying
> the Arduino board from arduino.cc and
> RAMPS+Pololu's from Gadgets3D would be the way to
> go.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2012 11:43AM by redreprap.
August 28, 2012 01:19PM
I think what has everybody discussing the issue of authentic Arduino in this thread is the fact that the boards being sold by some entities are counterfeits rather than clones. A read through Arduino's licensing terms shows that they are pretty loose with people "cloning" their hardware. Look at the Tosduino's available at Lulzbot for example, mbanzi isn't calling for them to take their product down since it is a clone of their hardware which is perfectly fine. Just don't put Arduino's screen printing on it in order to convince someone to pay an extra $20 for a board that is a counterfeit. I don't think that Arduino would be too concerned, nor would people on this forum, if these boards weren't purported to be the real deal.

September 15, 2012 08:33PM
Not only is it unethical to the community to sell counterfeit parts, it is illegal just about everywhere.

For a little history: months ago (a year or more now?), we were shipped Arduino "clones" from an upstream vendor, but when we got them, they still had the Arduino logo/trademark on them. They weren't sold to us as genuine, but they still had the Arduino name on them and at a glance looked like genuine Arduinos. I contacted Arduino folks (from memory the same Mr. Banzi as in this thread) and let them know. I let our vendor know as well. The vendor kind of surprised me in a good way, by responding very quickly, then creating the Tosduino clones!

This turned out very well, imo. We took a Chinese Arduino counterfeit manufacturer, got them to stop selling counterfeit equipment, and now they are selling legitimate clones. It didn't even take much push back, just a bit of education. smiling smiley

Have fun,

-Jeff (owner of lulz)
October 02, 2012 12:21AM
I bought a similar board on Amazon. I contacted the Arduino team directly by email. I sent them my order details and photos. They were very appreciative. I suggest everyone who got this "DESIGN IN ITALY" Counterfeit do the same. Just go to the Arduino Site and contact the team by email. The vendor was Newsite
Re: anurisms, nedcoun
November 28, 2012 05:00AM
Hello Massi,

In that case I would like to let you know that I feel I have been been fooled to buy a fake Arduino as well.
I purchased one Mega and one UNO and upon receiving I feel something is fishy.(I havn't used them yet)
I bought them on Ebay:

You won this auction. The seller has relisted this item or one like this. | View order details
Latest Version Original Arduino Uno R3 MEGA328P ATMEGA16U2 +USB Cable
See original listing
Latest-Version-Original-Arduino-Uno-R3-MEGA328P-ATMEGA16U2-USB-Cable
Item Sold
Item condition:
New
Ended:
Nov 06, 2012 19:17:23 PST
Winning bid:
US $18.50
[ 5 bids ]
Shipping:
FREE Standard Int'l Shipping
Item location:
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Seller:
top4u2012 (26 Feedback Score: 26 )

That is for the UNO and the next one is for the MEGA. Kindly let me know from the Ebay Ad if they are fake or authentic. Thank you kindly.

Seller:
Member id shop4un ( Feedback Score Of 19266Yellow shooting star icon for feedback score in between 10,000 to 24,999)

Item Title:New Arduino Mega 2560 R3 Rev3 Latest 2012 Version ATMEGA16U2 Official Board- opens in a new window or tab
Item Id:271066402140 - Price: US $26.90
Quantity:1

Thanks
Re: anurisms, nedcoun
November 29, 2012 04:13PM
My best guess is that they are fake. From the Arduino website:

Most of the official Arduino boards are manufactured by SmartProjects in Italy. The Arduino Pro, Pro Mini, and LilyPad are manufactured by SparkFun Electronics (a US company). The Arduino Nano is manufactured by Gravitech (also a US company).

If the seller is based in Hong Kong, I would say that there is a very strong chance that these boards are manufactured there as well. Another clue is the fact that there is a huge delay in shipping to Italy due to customs inspection. They probably aren't too thrilled with shipping their fakes to the countries where the trademarks / patents are held. Just my opinion, but definitely suspect. They'll probably work okay, but from a point of respect to the makers of Arduino I'd avoid them.
you could buy it in some open hardware company, such as Elecrow,Seeedstudio. thus you will not worry whether it's true. They are both improve much at the Arduino micro-controller.
January 01, 2013 02:07PM
What about Reprapdiscount Arduinos?

Are those fakes? They are from Hong Kong, and look very real, except for the fact that they match the Pololus they sell perfectly, as if the arduinos are manufactured by them on the same equpment as their pololus... Hmmm

Thoughts?
January 02, 2013 10:37AM
Again, I would say that if the Arduino in question is coming from Hong Kong or China it most almost certainly a fake. The only legitimate manufacturers of Arduino are either in Italy or the U.S. I sincerely doubt that Reprapdiscount.com is importing Arduinos to turn around and sell them for a loss. I also noticed that they stopped showing any images of the ADMega that is included with the RAMPS kit. The silkscreening is typically a dead giveaway.
January 05, 2013 07:14AM
Arduino is in the OPEN HARDWARE COMMUNITY, and all people in this community must follow the rule of this community.
Seeeduino is called the best Arduino board. it has much promote than the original Arduino board.
and Crowduino is based on the Seeeduino ,and it added more function. The Crowduio can be called wireless Arduino.
Because it add a XBee socket that adapts to the Xbee modules from Digi
So I think though there is only a few Chinese is in the OPEN HARDWARE COMMUNITY, but I think they also Made a great contribution to this community.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 07:28AM by ElectronicMAN.
January 07, 2013 01:43PM
No one is doubting the fact that there are several Chinese companies who are actively contributing to the Arduino community with genuinely good products which are in agreement with the minimal licensing requirements asked for by Arduino.

This discussion has more to do with Arduino boards being produced by manufacturers other than those listed on Arduino's website being passed off as "genuine" products. The suppliers who are doing so are only hurting themselves and the emerging tech industries in Hong Kong and China by passing off fake goods as the real thing.
January 07, 2013 10:57PM
archistrong Wrote:
> No one is doubting the fact that there are several
> Chinese companies who are actively contributing to
> the Arduino community with genuinely good products
> which are in agreement with the minimal licensing
> requirements asked for by Arduino.
>
> This discussion has more to do with Arduino boards
> being produced by manufacturers other than those
> listed on Arduino's website being passed off as
> "genuine" products. The suppliers who are doing
> so are only hurting themselves and the emerging
> tech industries in Hong Kong and China by passing
> off fake goods as the real thing.

My English is not so good, I may misunderstand what your meaning sometimes.

What I want to say is that not all of the Chinese Arduino is fake, at lest I can say what Seeed sales is certainly genuine made in Italy.

As the Elecrow, they don't sale Arduino, so there is no says about "Fake" .

If there is something that make you unhappy, I'm seriously to say "I'm sorry!"

Best Regards
elec
January 08, 2013 02:39PM
ElectronicMAN - I think you do understand the basic premise of what I am saying. Manufacturers like SEEED and Elecrow are fully allowed (based on Arduino's license) to produce boards that use the Arduino technology and software. They have pursued the appropriate path of producing a product (Seeeduino) which is an Arduino but is not labeled as "An Authentic Arduino made in Italy". Based on the price point they are selling the authentic ATMega 2560 I would bet that those were imported for sale in their online store, which is totally fine.

While Seeed and Elecrow (and other vendors I'm sure) are playing by the rules, there are, unfortunately, just as many vendors who are less than trustworthy in this department. I meant no offense to those legitimate suppliers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login