Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps not reading SD card

Posted by deodutie 
Ramps not reading SD card
December 19, 2017 12:01PM
I'm am switching to a new ramps board + reprapdiscount smart controller/SD card reader.

When I insert a card it does say: SD card inserted, but in the menu it says: no SD card

I am running the latest stable Marlin version.

I have so far tried:

- Enabling SD card support in the configuration.h file
- Multiple SD cards
- Another ribbon cable
- Another SD card reader(2 even)
- Another Arduino
- Formatting the card using the sdcard.com formatter(FAT32)
- Changing ##define SPI_SD_INIT_RATE 5" in SDFatConfig to 6

Any suggestions?
Re: Ramps not reading SD card
December 19, 2017 01:54PM
Format SD in Fat16 SD Card should be 2GB as max card size is 2GB for a 16bit computer.

When I Purchased my Smart Discount LCD2004 card the Cables were backwards for My Hictop MPX.3 Controller. (Most likely not yours)

Sometimes debris can become lodged inside the SD Card housing, Blow any debris that may have become lodged inside the SD card slot.

[www.arduino.cc]

" You’ll need a SD reader and computer to format your card. The library supports the FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems, but use FAT16 when possible. The process to format is fairly straightforward. "
December 20, 2017 08:14AM
Roberts_Clif
Format SD in Fat16 SD Card should be 2GB as max card size is 2GB for a 16bit computer.

When I Purchased my Smart Discount LCD2004 card the Cables were backwards for My Hictop MPX.3 Controller. (Most likely not yours)

Sometimes debris can become lodged inside the SD Card housing, Blow any debris that may have become lodged inside the SD card slot.

[www.arduino.cc]

" You’ll need a SD reader and computer to format your card. The library supports the FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems, but use FAT16 when possible. The process to format is fairly straightforward. "

I have formatted both a 4 and a 1 gig card in FAT32 and FAT16
I had already tried reversing te cable, didn't work.
The SD card slot is clean, but I don't think this would be te problem as I tried 2 other card readers.

I think the only problem besides the firmware could be a broken trace/contact in de ramps board or the extendended pcb that came with the smart controller.

Do you know where I can change te pin assisgnments in marlin so I can hook up a card reader to a different set of AUX pins?
December 20, 2017 09:02AM
That would in

pins_Ramps.h for Arduino Mega with RAMPS v1.4 (or v1.3) pin assignments
pins_Ramps_old.h for Arduino Mega with RAMPS v1.0, v1.1, v1.2 pin assignments
December 21, 2017 07:53AM
Roberts_Clif
That would in

pins_Ramps.h for Arduino Mega with RAMPS v1.4 (or v1.3) pin assignments
pins_Ramps_old.h for Arduino Mega with RAMPS v1.0, v1.1, v1.2 pin assignments

Do you happen to know which values I have to change, exactly? I haven't figured it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 07:55AM by deodutie.
December 22, 2017 06:27AM
"Do you know where I can change te pin assignments in marlin so I can hook up a card reader to a different set of AUX pins?"

you cant really do this

It uses the hardware SPI port, of which there is only one....
It does also use a select pin, that can be mapped anywhere

the SPI is connected via level converters directly to the sd card.

I would still put my money on incompatible sd cards... most modern fast or large sd cards just don't work.
They also need to support the SPI protocol which some cards just don't do. Kingston brand is well known not to support the SPI interface

Aim for a class 4 card, less that 4GB, not kingston brand
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login