Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NeoPixel/WS2812B on Trigorilla (RAMPS 1.4)

Posted by davidramiro 
NeoPixel/WS2812B on Trigorilla (RAMPS 1.4)
March 03, 2019 11:31AM
Hi guys,

I would like to add an RGB strip to my printer that can be controlled via Marlin. There's already a lot to find, but mostly for regular RGB strips, which use 3 pins on the board and have to be equipped with transistors.

Now since Marlin has support for NeoPixel/WS2812B LEDs, that would simplify the whole thing. Power the strip externally with 5V and add only one wire for control on board, as far as I understand it. Has anyone had any experience with the Trigorilla board? And if yes, which pin would be suitable?

Best regards,
David
Re: NeoPixel/WS2812B on Trigorilla (RAMPS 1.4)
March 03, 2019 08:32PM
The controller is two busy to control NeoPixel/WS2812B strips

It can just barely handle 1 or 2 of them, let alone a strip.

The timing requirements are two strict and interfere with the timing requirements of printer.
March 04, 2019 05:06AM
Thank you for the answer! Guess I will hook it up to my Raspberry and control it via OctoPrint then.
March 04, 2019 07:20AM
The DotStar LED strips from AdaFruit are a better bet, because they accept standard SPI protocol. This means that the timing of the signal to them isn't critical, also it can be done using DMA.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 04, 2019 07:43AM
dc42
The DotStar LED strips from AdaFruit are a better bet, because they accept standard SPI protocol. This means that the timing of the signal to them isn't critical, also it can be done using DMA.

Thanks for the suggestion, although those do not seem to be natively supported by Marlin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login