Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CNC Soldering Machine; any advice or tips?

Posted by Killjoy17 
CNC Soldering Machine; any advice or tips?
January 01, 2020 09:58AM
Good day everyone! I am still new to this forum and to RAMPS in general so please understand.
I am currently a student taking Electronics Engineering and our final study/research is to create a CNC-based soldering machine. We are currently utilizing the RAMPS 1.4 board along with an Arduino Mega and NEMA 17 Motors. We are also using the Marlin firmware.

Our desired process is this: 1. The program ExpressPCB (a software for circuit design) will generate a .dxf file of the holes of the PCB; 2. The .dxf file will be converted to g-code; 3. That g-code will be loaded to Pronterface; 4. The motors will move the soldering iron to the first coordinate; 5. A servo will lower the soldering iron to the PCB; 6. A motor will extrude some soldering iron for a couple of seconds; 7. The servo will lift up the soldering iron back up and proceed to other coordinates until finished.

At the moment, our current progress is that we are now able to send commands to the motors via the Pronterface program. Not much but we're currently working on it. We are now also able to visualize the g-code of an example circuit in the bCNC software

I guess what we wanted to know is that is the process even possible in the first place? We've seen some amazing machines done with the RAMPS board but we didn't see anything with a concept similar to ours. We also wanted to ask for some tips or advice or really anything to help us out in this project, as we've never done anything related to RAMPS (but we do have some experience in Arduino in general).

Thank you for taking the time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Re: CNC Soldering Machine; any advice or tips?
January 01, 2020 10:29AM
You mean like [www.youtube.com]

And there are others... but cant find them quickly...
January 01, 2020 10:31AM
Hi! Thank you for replying and we have actually seen that before smiling smiley What I should've said is that one that utilizes Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 + Marlin
January 01, 2020 10:45AM
I Hope you keep us up to date on how you are doing on this Project.

Thanks for Sharing.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
January 01, 2020 10:50AM
Thank you Roberts_Clif! I will try my best to update this thread from time to time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2020 10:51AM by Killjoy17.
January 01, 2020 11:18AM
This is the one I was thinking of, [www.youtube.com]
But they don't give any details

looks like a modified prusa mk3

found some more details here [blog.pcbxprt.com]
January 01, 2020 11:33AM
Thank you again for replying, greatly appreciated! We will definitely be considering that example as a basis for our design. If you don't mind, can you also cite some similar projects that uses Arduino and Ramps 1.4? I googled the Prusa MK3 real quick and we don't exactly have that big of a budget since we're only students grinning smiley But still, thank you for this example that you've mentioned. smiling smiley
VDX
January 01, 2020 01:30PM
... I was doing some CNC-soldering too, but solderpaste-dispensing with a jetter and soldering it with a "remote" laser - [www.youtube.com]

The laser in this video was a fiber-laser with 1064nm, but this could be done even better with a 975nm or 808nm IR-laserdiode with attached fiber ... have some with output powers up to 200 Watts, but more common 25W-diodes are sufficient for melting the solder blob ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login