Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I have screwed myselfeye popping smiley

Posted by Erbanmap 
I have screwed myselfeye popping smiley
September 30, 2012 09:50PM
I had a working mendel based on the defunked techzone electronics. In the course of getting it to work I changed out the techzone end opti end stops for Makerbot optis. I recently tried to start using Replicator G with my mendel. It would not connect. So I thought I needed to upgrade my electonics. I got an assembled RAMPS 1.4 from Utilmachine.

I took the old part off and started to wire up the RAMPS. It is not even connecting to my PC. (Win7 64 bit Laptop) I removed the RAMPS sheild and connected it again to the PC and it found an unknown device. So I went through the process of get ardruino 27 and manully updating the driver. That worked. Then I replaced the shield and Nothing No lights no connected device nothing. I understand that I need to load firmware. But I can't figure out how to do this.

Is there a guide or something that will help me step through the process. I sort of figured that setting up had gotten easier not harder. In the package there was a diode. I don't know if I am supposed to install it or where.

Any help would be closely followed.
Erban
Re: I have screwed myselfeye popping smiley
October 01, 2012 08:00AM
Hi Erbanmap

Maybe you did, and hope you enjoyed yourself in the process!

But seriously

The arduinonis powered from the PC, isomyou have 2 powerins. Laptop and adapter
If you dont want this you need to solder the diode on the arduino pcb, just underneath the x driver socket

The endstops have 3 wires, make sure you skip each second 3 pin connector, the seconds are max endstops
See also wiki ramps there is a good drawing of the pcb

Hope this helps

Br

C
October 01, 2012 08:53PM
Yup that helped at least further along. I was able to connect to the Ramps. I uploadeded the Marlin firmware. All good.
I tried to connect with Replicator G 23. Sort of wierd character showed up but in the end failled to connect.
I tried to load firmware from Rep G. That worked. Then failled to connect. and LEDs come on showing red. They blink once when I try to connect then stay on red. So good I can put stuff in the RAMPS. Now I need to find the right stuff to put in. I am using Makerbot Opti endstops. My RAMPS has the optional optical end stop pin out. When I have the end stops connected the board does not come on. Are ultimaker end stops and MakerBot end stops wired differently? I put the white wire to "S" the black goes to GRD and the red goes to Vcc. I guess I have to tear the wiring harness apart to make sure what goes where. Do people who buy a prebuilt and assembled machine have this much fun?
October 04, 2012 04:45AM
Hi

had similar issue with Rep G 37
now use pronterface make sure you have baudrates aligned and right motherboard selected - ramps is 33/34

on the end stops, for optos you need to disable the endstop pull ups in marlin
check with m114 for endstop status, may be reversed

have fun

carel
October 04, 2012 06:15AM
Is endstop status M114 now? I thought M114 is position report while M119 reports endstop status.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 04, 2012 05:53PM
Sorry typo
Appears I screwed myself toooooooo
Re: I have not
October 04, 2012 08:16PM
Well I whined to soon. I now have Rep G talking to my RAMPS. I have X, Y and Z working. I have the X endstop working. I did fry one of the step controlers so I have to wait till I get a new one. I was using the techzone thermal wire and thier AD module to get temp readings. So it looks like the RAMPS understands thermoresister instead. The good news is I have one. So tonight I will be working on getting it reading temp from my hot end.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login