Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No motor response with RAMPS

Posted by cianmartin 
No motor response with RAMPS
February 14, 2013 08:25AM
Hi all,

I have RAMPS hooked up to an Arduino Mega, NEMA 17 stepper motors and a hacked 300W PC power supply.

I've verified that the supply is outputting 12V and 12A to the RAMPS board, and there is a voltage going to the connected hot end, but I haven't been able to get ANY response from the steppers.

I've uploaded the test code and have a few LED's flashing but no motor response, and with Sprinter firmware uploaded and Pronterface running, the RX LED on the Arduino lights when I send motor commands, but I get no response on any motors.

I've tested the steppers separately using an arduino and test code and they run fine plus I've checked the board components with a multimeter and they seem ok too.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong here??
Re: No motor response with RAMPS
February 14, 2013 11:32AM
have to set the correct motherboard in the firmware config? it should be 33 for ramps.
February 14, 2013 01:44PM
Yep, it's set at 33 and baudrate is 250000.
February 15, 2013 11:06AM
Ok, when you say test firmware I assume you mean the RAMPS 1.4 test firmware which is great! It doesn't need a computer connection (other than for power), so your baudrate is not the problem if the motors arent moving with the test firmware.

Do you notice any sound from the motors when it is running? Have you adjusted the potentiometers on the stepper drivers to increase the current?

Do you have the motors correctly wired up (did you wire them yourself?)

Are the stepper drivers installed correctly? Installing them backwards will fry them (speaking from my own experience), and as well removing the motor connector while it is powered can fry them as well (no personal experience here)
February 15, 2013 07:03PM
I don't have any separate stepper drivers. I've been plugging the 4 wires from the stepper directly into the RAMPS board. I thought the drivers were integrated into RAMPS 1.4?
February 16, 2013 08:45AM
No, RAMPS 1.4 takes the same pololu stepper drivers as earlier versions of RAMPS.
February 18, 2013 06:04AM
i think you might be thinking rambo board if i remember right that has the drivers built in.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
February 21, 2013 11:13PM
hey i am having a similar issue with my ramps, i had my prusa mendel working correctly but unplugged everything to better place the wires and reconnected everything, my pc recognizes my board and i can interact with it through pronterface, i can detect temp and activate heater core but all my motors have stopped working and a red LED is continuously on i believe its LED2 what is my issue?
VDX
February 22, 2013 02:09AM
... have you eventually unplugged the motors with power on? ... this can/will wreck the drivers and cause other unpredictable results ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 22, 2013 07:06PM
Still having some issues. I sent an email to reprapworld but they're on holiday till March 4th.

When the RAMPS is connected to the Arduino Mega the LED's on both RAMPS and arduino are lit, but when I connect stepper drivers and stepper motors and connect the USB and 12V supply there's no sign of life from the board.

I have tested all components on the board with a multimeter and I can't seem to find a problem there, and visually the board looks alright, but it's hard to tell with the black soldermask.

However, there are some rough solder joints on the bottom of the board and some of the components don't seem properly aligned.

Is there any test I can carry out to check the integrity of the board, especially along the side of the board where the XYZ stepper motor control is located as it seems to be pins on this side that cause the short.
June 03, 2013 06:06PM
Have you solved this issue since the last post? I'm having a very similar-sounding problem.
June 03, 2013 06:36PM
what are your endstop status becasue i though i had no life in my ramps no indication (no lights) when the 12v only light on is on the mega.
i found out finding out what your endstop status is first if they say triggered when they not nothing will move(experienced the same problem) i havnt used or seen printer saying ive only just got my motors move this weekend and im using marlin
Hi i have a similar problem, I have a Ramps 1.4 with G3D stepper driver, and motors problems also. I 'have tried the sprinter firmware, the marlin and the ramps 1.4 test.
So The X axis is moving but in positive direction, not negative, the x endstop doesn't stop the motor, for z and y axis just noise no movement a little for Y only during the test, no reaction using pronterface. I have turned counterclockwise the OSC on G3D stepper driver, nothing is changed, the OSC screw never stop on turning. The power supply is 550 w, I have measured the volts an it is ok 12 volts on ramps screws power in. Today I was dropping my new prusa I3 in the litter box. Please help me.
June 07, 2013 08:00AM
mitchese Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, when you say test firmware I assume you mean
> the RAMPS 1.4 test firmware which is great! It
> doesn't need a computer connection (other than for
> power), so your baudrate is not the problem if the
> motors arent moving with the test firmware.
>
FIRMWARE meaning sprinter, marlin eg

> Do you notice any sound from the motors when it is
> running? Have you adjusted the potentiometers on
> the stepper drivers to increase the current?
>
> Do you have the motors correctly wired up (did you
> wire them yourself?)
>
> Are the stepper drivers installed correctly?
> Installing them backwards will fry them (speaking
> from my own experience), and as well removing the
> motor connector while it is powered can fry them
> as well (no personal experience here)
October 08, 2013 01:52PM
Hi everyone, unfortunatelly I have same problem. ramps g3d drivers and so on. the motors are not moving. as any of you any more idea about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login