Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

:: some notes about tests on power and noise ::spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by redreprap 
:: some notes about tests on power and noise ::spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 06, 2013 11:29AM
have a read spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
[3roomlabs.blogspot.sg]
cheers spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

side note : maybe its time some1 came up with a stepstick that has 2 PCB, so that larger caps can be mounted to mitigate noise and enhance drive torque (larger current pooling?). does any1 think this is worth the time to explore/mod/DIY?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 11:43AM by redreprap.
Re: :: some notes about tests on power and noise ::spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 06, 2013 01:54PM
Interesting article, but I don't believe stability of motor voltage is particularly important for the Allegro drivers.

It does help confirm something I suspected, some vendors are selling stepper drivers with badly selected components, resulting in poor performance. They get away with this most of the time because the Allegro chips are very good at controlling the current.
Re: :: some notes about tests on power and noise ::spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 06, 2013 08:14PM
Yes 100mv of noise on a 12V rail is nothing really. A lot of switch mode PSUs will have that much ripple. It won't affect the motor but it might affect EMC.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 06, 2013 08:34PM
and if any1 fancies taking apart a stepstick. it appears the china stepsticks do not solder the rear heatpads to the PCB sink. i wonder if the pololu does that?
March 07, 2013 05:02AM
hmmm i tried to capture some of what you tried before nophead ... looks like time for me to get back on a real scope LOL ... the resolution of a mini DSO can only see so much.
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG001.BMP (47 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login