Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HELP!! Motors humm but don't move Endstops installed. RAMPs 1.4 Marlin Firmware

Posted by pastlifeuknow 
So I've looked every where to solve my issues. I had a 230W power supply. My motors would turn on move for a second then turn off and I'd lose connection. Thought it was power supply because minimal requirements according to forum and reprap.org is 300W power supply. Realized after installing 500W power supply (coolmax V-500) that I had forgotten to Change BAUD rate in Firmware.

Now with new power supply and Marlin firmware on my RAMPs 1.4 my motors Humm but no matter the setting of the current limiter on the Pololus I get no motion.

My configuration and parts are as follows

-Firstly its a Prusa Mendel

-Ok so I've got these Stepper motors: Spikenzye Labs Motors

-Installed these Stepper drivers : Pololu Drivers

-Ramps from: Mix Shop

-Endstops are Installed normally closed. Firmware changed to take this into account

-BAUD tried at 9600, 11500 and 25000 115000 and 250000

-Marlin Firmware. I changed the code about motherboard to 34 which is for RAMPS (only RAMPS 1.3 in code this a problem?)

-No heat bed installed nor is the temperature sensor or heater is installed.

-Two 12V and grounds are plugged in to the 11Amp plug of ramps and one 12V and ground into the 5amp plug. (this should be able to handle more current then needed up to (by my head math) 34amps on the 11 amp side and 17 on the 5amp)

Further tests I've done is to confirm the wire pairs with Ohm meter. I confirmed they match the color code and ensured they were plugged in properly into the RAMPS 1.4.

I personally am new to Reprap but have had the assistance of a classmate who has built both a Prusa and got a broken Cup Cake operational. He's also been involved in making I believe a huxley and one other (can't remember which ones was just chatting with him as he printed parts for them. He later confirmed they were operational).

Any Ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 07:18AM by pastlifeuknow.
I forgot to mention I'm using Pronterface. When I pressed the endstop (clicked them) a message showed on the Proterface display saying they were clicked.
pastlifeuknow Wrote:
>
> -Marlin Firmware. I changed the code about
> motherboard to 34 which is for RAMPS (only RAMPS
> 1.3 in code this a problem?)
>
RAMPS 1.4 and RAMPS 1.3 have the same pinout, so thats no problem.

> -No heat bed installed nor is the temperature
> sensor or heater is installed.

This is a problem - Marlin shuts down if it doesn't get a plausible reading from the extruder temp sensor. There should be an error message about that in the right hand of pronterface?
Andrew Smith
> -No heat bed installed nor is the temperature
> sensor or heater is installed.

This is a problem - Marlin shuts down if it doesn't get a plausible reading from the extruder temp sensor. There should be an error message about that in the right hand of pronterface?

I didn't know that however I did disable the heat temperature with these lines of code found in marlin configuration:
//// Temperature sensor settings:
// -2 is thermocouple with MAX6675 (only for sensor 0)
// -1 is thermocouple with AD595
// 0 is not used
// 1 is 100k thermistor - best choice for EPCOS 100k (4.7k pullup)
// 2 is 200k thermistor - ATC Semitec 204GT-2 (4.7k pullup)
// 3 is mendel-parts thermistor (4.7k pullup)
// 4 is 10k thermistor !! do not use it for a hotend. It gives bad resolution at high temp. !!
// 5 is 100K thermistor - ATC Semitec 104GT-2 (Used in ParCan) (4.7k pullup)
// 6 is 100k EPCOS - Not as accurate as table 1 (created using a fluke thermocouple) (4.7k pullup)
// 7 is 100k Honeywell thermistor 135-104LAG-J01 (4.7k pullup)
// 8 is 100k 0603 SMD Vishay NTCS0603E3104FXT (4.7k pullup)
// 9 is 100k GE Sensing AL03006-58.2K-97-G1 (4.7k pullup)
// 10 is 100k RS thermistor 198-961 (4.7k pullup)
//
//    1k ohm pullup tables - This is not normal, you would have to have changed out your 4.7k for 1k 
//                          (but gives greater accuracy and more stable PID)
// 51 is 100k thermistor - EPCOS (1k pullup)
// 52 is 200k thermistor - ATC Semitec 204GT-2 (1k pullup)
// 55 is 100k thermistor - ATC Semitec 104GT-2 (Used in ParCan) (1k pullup)

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 0

This did not get motors working however did disable the error message and started the humming noise mentioned in previous post.
Ok so the motor is 3v. the coolmax V-500 power supply is giving it 12v 17amp. if I used the 5v 22amp or the 5v 2.5amp would it work? could this possibly be my problem?
Voltage isn't a problem, reprap uses current limiting drivers so we can safely put 12V through a 3V motor.

Check the trim pots on the pololu drivers. With official pololu drivers, set the trim pot to read about 0.4v on the wiper. If you don't have a multimeter, just set them half way and tweak them till it works. If the motor doesn't move or loses steps, give it a bit more current, if the driver shuts down due to overheating, give it less current.
I'm using the high current ones. No matter the trim pot I'm getting the hum. It used to work but connection issue caused by what I think was firmware BAUD rate issue froze the connection. Also all the motors suggested by reprap.org and most of the forums that I've read are 5v or greater and about 5hom these motors are neither. They are 3ohm and 3v.
Re: HELP!! Motors humm but don't move Endstops installed. RAMPs 1.4 Marlin Firmware
March 19, 2013 03:10AM
I'm using pronterface with a ramps 1.4 board too. I had to set the baud rate at 250,000 (you wrote 25,000) in marlin AND pronterface. I had to turn off PID for my heated bed (use full power here:#define MAX_BED_POWER 256 // limits duty cycle to bed; 256=full current-was 128 3-17-2013) because the PWM was causing ramps to lose connection with pronterface. I know you said you don't have the bed hooked up yet though. I've switched to the pololu high current drivers as well, though I haven't powered them up yet. I noticed that the pinouts to the pololu carriers go B2, B1, A1, A2 whereas the A4988 carriers (and the ramps) go 2B, 2A, 1A, 1B. Pololu just uses a different naming convention ie. B1-B2 is coil 'B' or coil #2, A1-A2 is coil 'A'.or coil #1.Judging by the data sheet on your motors, your wiring should be blue-red pair, green-black pair. Right? I'm a dummy. It might not matter but the baud rate sure worked for me and what Andrew suggested about the current limiting pot. I'll post tomorrow my results when I power up. That is, if it seems helpful to you. One more thing. I've noticed that I don't get accurate results when I change the pot while the motor is trying to move. I've had best results clicking 10mm, waiting for it to stop, changing the pot a tiny bit up or down, and click 10mm again. Do that sequence until the motors are right. Good luck bud!
joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 03:46AM by cncjoe.
cncjoe
(use full power here:#define MAX_BED_POWER 256 // limits duty cycle to bed; 256=full current-was 128 3-17-2013

I'll give that a try.

cncjoe
One more thing. I've noticed that I don't get accurate results when I change the pot while the motor is trying to move. I've had best results clicking 10mm, waiting for it to stop, changing the pot a tiny bit up or down, and click 10mm again. Do that sequence until the motors are right. Good luck bud!

I'll keep this in mind when I get the motors moving.
Re: HELP!! Motors humm but don't move Endstops installed. RAMPs 1.4 Marlin Firmware
March 20, 2013 01:20AM
I didn't get my reprap fix tonight ): but tomorrow night is looking promising. Did you do anything with the baud rate? Also, do you have an lcd interface or just the usb to the computer? I was thinking if you have the lcd, you could get the motors going regardless of the connection problem to pronterface...
March 21, 2013 05:05PM
I would try the test firmware from here, if you are unsure about the baud rate.

This firmware only drives your motors back and fourth endlessly, without paying attention to the thermistors or endstops. If the motors drive with this, then you can proceed with the actual firmware and then try and debug the issues that you are having with the actual firmware.

If the motors do not turn with this test firmware, then you need to examine the electronics and see why they are not working.

To determine what the baud rate should be, have a look in the Configuration.h, it is defined near the top. I would recommend 115,200 at first as some systems have trouble with the 250,000 speed.
March 21, 2013 11:27PM
You know past life, I got mine going last night. Just moving, not printing yet but one difference between yours and mine is I'm using nema 23 motors for x, y, and z and a nema 17 like yours for the extruder. Interestingly, the extruder is doing what you describe on yours. It just buzzes and moves a little no matter how much I fiddle with the driver. I'm going to try taking micro stepping down all the way to full step incrementally and see what happens. I'll be watching your thread here to see if you figure out anything before me. Good luck bud!
joe
Try disabling / commenting out the MAX ENDSTOPS entry in the Marlin configuration file, so that you are only using the MIN endstops & settings. I had a hell of a time getting my motors to do anything but hum until I did this.
April 15, 2014 04:50AM
Hello,

I have the same issue:
My motors for X,Y & Z axis hum and move a little bit. The extruder motor works well.
I d'ont understand why ... I use Marlin firmware and use pronterface.

Then I test all motors with above code and all are working very well:

#define X_STEP_PIN 54
#define X_DIR_PIN 55
#define X_ENABLE_PIN 38
#define Y_STEP_PIN 60
#define Y_DIR_PIN 61
#define Y_ENABLE_PIN 56
#define Z_STEP_PIN 46
#define Z_DIR_PIN 48
#define Z_ENABLE_PIN 62
#define E0_STEP_PIN 26
#define E0_DIR_PIN 28
#define E0_ENABLE_PIN 24
#define E1_STEP_PIN 36
#define E1_DIR_PIN 34
#define E1_ENABLE_PIN 30

void setup() {
pinMode(X_STEP_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(X_DIR_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(X_ENABLE_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(Y_STEP_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(Y_DIR_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(Y_ENABLE_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(Z_STEP_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(Z_DIR_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(Z_ENABLE_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(E0_STEP_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(E0_DIR_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(E0_ENABLE_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(E1_STEP_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(E1_DIR_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(E1_ENABLE_PIN, OUTPUT);
}

void step(int stepperPin, int steps, int dirPin, boolean dir){
digitalWrite(dirPin,dir);
delay(50);
for(int i=0;i<steps;i++){
digitalWrite(stepperPin, HIGH);
delayMicroseconds(800);
digitalWrite(stepperPin, LOW);
delayMicroseconds(800);
}
}

void loop()
{
digitalWrite(X_ENABLE_PIN, LOW );
digitalWrite(Y_ENABLE_PIN, LOW );
digitalWrite(Z_ENABLE_PIN, LOW );
digitalWrite(E0_ENABLE_PIN, LOW );
digitalWrite(E1_ENABLE_PIN, LOW );
step(X_STEP_PIN, 200, X_DIR_PIN, true);
step(Y_STEP_PIN, 200, Y_DIR_PIN, true);
step(Z_STEP_PIN, 200, Z_DIR_PIN, true);
step(E0_STEP_PIN, 200, E0_DIR_PIN, true);
step(E1_STEP_PIN, 200, E1_DIR_PIN, true);
delay(200);
step(X_STEP_PIN, 200, X_DIR_PIN, false);
step(Y_STEP_PIN, 200, Y_DIR_PIN, false);
step(Z_STEP_PIN, 200, Z_DIR_PIN, false);
step(E0_STEP_PIN, 200, E0_DIR_PIN, false);
step(E1_STEP_PIN, 200, E1_DIR_PIN, false);
delay(200);
}

Maybe I have a configuration problem with my Marlin firmware ?
I'm using Nema 17 1.8°.

Thanks.
Solved the issue on my RepRap was a three part problem:

1)My power supply did not have enough power....was using a 400W power supply....had to upgrade to a 500W

2) I was using 3V motors instead of 12V motors this caused major issues....including an exploding driver...due to overcurrent

3) On examining my endstops more closely I realized I had attached the leads to the normally open and the normally closed pins instead of the input and one of the other pins.

Fixing the first problem immediately got me results (motors moved then my driver exploding in to a plasma flame...kinda awesome to see). On the second Reprap I built the endstops were the issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login