Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GADGETS3D LCD and Shield with Marlin - Having Probs

Posted by wallyblackburn 
GADGETS3D LCD and Shield with Marlin - Having Probs
May 03, 2013 04:14PM
Hi folks, super-newbie here. I am building a MendelMax 1.5 using Gadgets3d RAMPS kit with their LCD and Shield.

First, let me say that I don't have any of the electronics even connected yet, so maybe I shouldn't expect the following to work - please tell me if that is the case. Anyway...

I downloaded the latest Marlin, uncommented #define G3D_PANEL in configuration.h, verified, and downloaded to my Arduino/RAMPS/G3D Shield and LCD. No errors, but all I get on LCD is blocks. I adjusted contrast. I'm using the shorter cables (I'd expect garbage if it was cable shielding issue).

Shouldn't I at least get the intro screen? Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Wally
Re: GADGETS3D LCD and Shield with Marlin - Having Probs
May 03, 2013 07:20PM
Hi Wally,

Do the blocks disappear at some point when you are adjusting contrast?
Your problem seems to be related with contrast adjustment.

Andromedabots -> EU reprap printed parts and electronics supplier
May 03, 2013 08:25PM
Make sure your 2 cables are not reversed. If it was a shielding problem you would see garbled letters and characters.
May 05, 2013 12:49AM
i have the same board and shields from gadgets3d.

make sure pin 1 of your cable is connected on both the lcd pcb and the shield. pin 1 is marked with a red line.

there are many lines in the configuration that needs tweaking. one is the motherboard type which should be 34 if you are using ramps 1.4. have you done that?
May 05, 2013 09:31AM
I really appreciate your reply.

I will verify the pin 1 connections. The cables are keyed to only go one way, but I'll verify.

Many lines that need tweaking? Oh boy! I had read on another forum that motherboard type was 33. There is a lot of varying info out there. Rather than ask for details on which lines, would it be inappropriate to ask if I could get copies of your configuration.h and pins.h?

Thanks again,
Wally
May 05, 2013 12:14PM
sure. here are the files.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (16.5 KB)
open | download - pins.h (43.1 KB)
May 05, 2013 12:19PM
I only tweaked lines according to the wiki page, and my motherboard is type 33, RAMPS with one extruder. I had the same kind of problem as you do. I solved it by tweaking the connections a bit, can you measure the voltage that is going to the LCD? Measure between pins 1 and 2. It should be around 5 volts.

If the voltage is not 5 V but more like 4 volts, you have found the problem. I solved it by connecting VCC wire that is going in parallel wire #1 to one of the AUX connectors' +5V pin. Now my LCD works.
May 05, 2013 12:24PM
this link might help
May 08, 2013 10:49AM
Actually wikiepedia page with this nightmare about pins is outdated, just now is enought to uncomment #define G3D_PANEL and nothing more to change.

Here we have a firmware preconfigured for be sure that it is not software issue: [github.com]

@wallyblackburn
Just upload firmware from the link as is without messing in configuration.h and if problem with LCD still happen then it is hardware issue (contact with seller www/eBay).

Best Regards
Martin

www.gadgets3d.com - parts for your 3D printer
May 09, 2013 07:29AM
Got it working! Thanks all!

I ended up going back to fresh download of latest Marlin, changing motherboard type to 33, and uncommenting #define G3D_PANEL.

Almost ready to start calibration.

Thanks,
Wally
Hello,
I have a question above a LCD shield.
This is a link:
[linksprite.com]

It is posible to conectied to ramps 1.4 How will I modify firmware?

I use firmware marliv V1 for deltabot.

Thanks for the answer
November 24, 2013 12:35PM
Hi!

I have RAMPS1.4 with GADGETS3D LCD attached. In the newest marlin config I have uncommented G3D_PANEL, MOTHERBOARD_TYPE is 33. After the firmware upload display starts to switch between watch screen and menu with frequency one time per second. It behaves like I press the center knob on the panel, but I do not. If I'll press center knob, display start to show two rows of white blocks. It looks like problem with signal of center push encoder. This behavior remains the same with official gadgets3d marlin firmware version without any modifications. Could you please explain me if I,m doing something wrong, or it is the hardware problem?
November 28, 2013 11:36PM
@Denem

Multiple posts of the same issue in multiple threads / multiple areas is not really the right way to do things.....Your board is broken.
January 12, 2014 10:20AM
Sorry for the gravedig, but I'm having a very similar issue.

With the Firmware compilation that Martin_G3D linked to, I get gibberish text on the LCD screen. So I'm guessing it's a hardware issue...

Per jkoljo's instructions, I measured voltage between pins 1 and 2 on "EXP 1" on the LCD board and it reads 4.4V. I have no idea if this is good or bad and I want to see what G3D has to say before I go messing with hardware mods.

Sadly, I bought it as part of a kit that came with the arduino + ramps 1.4 shield and some other stuff about 6 months ago. Only just now got around to putting it all together.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login