Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

12V Power Connectors

Posted by JackDavies 
12V Power Connectors
May 21, 2013 05:10PM
Hi,

I am half way through a DIY Ultimaker build and have come to order parts for wiring (I have already assembled my RAMPS 1.3 board) I want to use some kind of panel mount connector for the power, however everything I have looked at is rated way to low for the amps I want to pull through (I am using a heated bed & single extruder).

I wanted to use this figure of 8 panel mount and make a figure 8 12V cable that could be plugged in (Rated 2.5A) [spiratronics.com]

I am just concerned that it will melt and cause a fire risk! The Ultimaker kit uses a small DC socket which looks much less substantial than the figure 8. Is that rating based on 240v and could I get away with using it?

Thanks, Jack
Re: 12V Power Connectors
May 21, 2013 09:43PM
Do not use that connector.

2.5 Amps isn't nearly enough.

Why not use a standard Molex Connector?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 09:46PM by ShadowRam.
May 22, 2013 08:21AM
How about a Neutrik powerCON.
It's not that expensive and looks very nice.
May 27, 2013 07:45PM
i got these US$0.50 AC connectors from the local electrical store. maybe it could be a cheap and robust temp connector.

they are rated 250VAC 16A, the pins are really solid. i think in some parts, there is also the BG style brass pin type, they are 10A rated i think. the BG style comes in a fully enclosed plug/receptacle.

[www.tlc-direct.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 07:45PM by redreprap.

__my mixed bag blog || aka --> [http] || ___ so 3D printing is everywhere ... dont worry, hospitals can now 3Dprint body parts, they will charge you $1million excluding surgical fees ... you will die paying your debts. thats their aim ___ if every patent expires tomorrow, everybody will surely get a 3dprinter and make EVERYTHING ! ____ there is a "DIY-DTG" t shirt printing forum, you can mod an EPSON printer to PRINT like a pro. ___ CNCzone? overly commercialized it seems ___ my country? they will be taxing you for every cm of road you use and track you to your grave using GPS and its government authorized, now they will fire all the traffic wardens instead.___ EEVBLOG? there is only 1 way to do things --> take it apart like a pro
Attachments:
open | download - DSC02714.JPG (376 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login