Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help : New build Ramps 1.3 possibly 1 faulty Pololu A4988

Posted by Masnachu 
Help : New build Ramps 1.3 possibly 1 faulty Pololu A4988
June 10, 2013 03:33AM
I've just built a RAMPS 1.3 with 4x A4988 black edition drivers and I'm testing the drivers one at a time
(printer frame not assemblied yet). All have been set 0.4v.

configured and running marlin, endstops are working correctly.

3 of the drivers work great, motor run smooth in x,y and z locations (I have
tried E0 but can't run the motor because temp too cold, heater and thermistors
not connected)

1 of the drivers cause the motor to run rough, movement is jerky and noisey.
I tried adjusting the voltage, have been upto 0.8v with no discernible change
in the motor, voltage range tried is 0.2v - 0.8v with same result. The driver is
the same in either x,y, or z RAMP locations and with 2 different stepper motors
(other 3 drivers are fine in same configerations).

Motors are only run for a few seconds so I don't think its a overheat problem
(heatsinks dont feel that hot). At no time have drivers or motors been
connected/disconnected with power on (either 12v or 5v usb).

Does anybody have any ideas on other tests I perform to try and locate the
problem ? (only have a multimeter)

or have I got a faulty A4988 that needs to be replaced ?

Thanks.
Re: Help : New build Ramps 1.3 possibly 1 faulty Pololu A4988
June 10, 2013 05:53AM
Hi,

Just did some more testing.

using x-axis on ramps, I removed the jumpers that set the microstepping, so now it's full stepping only. Voltage is 0.4v as before.

Using pronterface, if I hit the foward/backward '1' ring the motor moves as before i.e. feels rough sounds noisy (motor is only moving in small increments, should it do this with microstepping jumpers removed ??)

if I hit the '10' ring or x-axis Home , the motor stalls and makes a whining noise.
(when i hit home with the microstepping jumpers installed (all 3 jumpers = 1/16) the motor runs, its just noisy and jerky, so
the stalling is a change in behaviour)

I then adjusted the pot to 1.0v (microstepping jumpers still removed) , and did the above again using ponterface, with the exact same result.

So it seems to me that this A4988 is not providing enough voltage or amperage ? to the motor, no matter where I set the pot on the driver board to.

motors are pretty standard , 2.8V , 1.68A (other 3 A4988's run the motors fine).

using the simple schematic on the pololu site Lower down on the page does anybody know how I can test the A4988 , using a multimeter. (my electronics knowledge doesn't extend to me being able to look at those things and know what to test, not without summoning forth smoke)

thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 05:57AM by Masnachu.
June 10, 2013 08:39AM
The easiest thing to do is to swap motors and/or drivers to see if the problem moves or not.

Just remember to remove power before changing anything. I destroyed 2 of my drivers when I made wiring changes inadvertantly under power. Replacing drivers is nor a huge problem as they are only $10 direct from pololu. In fact when I was replacing my bad ones, I purchased two spares.
June 10, 2013 09:28AM
yep the problem driver is the same wherever I plug it into RAMPS i.e. x,y or z. It's also the same whichever of the 5 stepper motors I use.

The 3 good drivers all work properly, either on their own or alltogther in x,y and z , they're also fine with all 5 motors.

So when you say you destroyed 2 of them, were they completly dead ? or were they still working just not properly.

Thanks.
June 10, 2013 01:08PM
Did some more testing with the multimeter this afternoon.

voltage via POT set to 0.4v (is this vref ?)

Faulty driver first.

VDD = 4.88v
VMot = 12.26v

then tested the coils between driver and motor.
1B = -0.07A
1A = +0.07A
2A = -0.50A
2B = +0.46A

Think I've found the problem, as suspected driver isn't suppling enough current (coils are unbalanced), to make sure did a 2nd test and measured again.

1B = -0.04A
1A = +0.10A
2A = -0.50A
2B = +0.50A

which confirms it.

I then tested a known good driver , again voltage set to 0.4v

1B = -0.50A
1A = +0.55A
2A = -0.50A
2B = +0.50A

So definitely a faulty Pololu.

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login