Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Option to operate a solenoid when extruder feeding

Posted by Irish_Steve 
Option to operate a solenoid when extruder feeding
September 03, 2013 09:44AM
Been reading up wherever possible, starting a build shortly of a Delta Pi, using Ramps 1.4 to control things, and I am wondering if it's possible to have a control signal for a solenoid that will provide a brake for the filament supply, the solenoid to be pulled when the extruder is driving positively, the intention being to prevent a spool over run when the extruder stops, so that the filament doesn't end up looking like a leprachaun has been at it when no one was looking. Yes, I could use a brake system, but I was thinking that it would be better to have no serious restriction on the movement of the filament when it's needed, other than a slight drag force to prevent over run when the extrude speed changes. If the extruder stops, then the reel would also be more positively stopped by a brake shoe or similar on the edge, which can then be a much more positive stop compared to a friction brake.

Is this (a) possible, and (b) desirable, or am I looking to get too involved.

I could drive this from the main arduino processor if that's a better way to deal with it, but if it's overkill, then I won't go there.

Thanks

Shore, if twas easy, we'd all be doin it

Irish Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login