Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help in wiring SD card reader to RAMPS 1.4

Posted by disneytoy 
Help in wiring SD card reader to RAMPS 1.4
September 14, 2013 11:34PM
Hello!

Just got in an SD Card reader from LC Tech. I want to wire it up to my RAMPS 1.4. And test it.

Googling has giving me many different approaches. I haven't found a straight forward wire pin X to pin Y.

So can anyone tell me to which pins on the
Ramps 1.4 do I connect?

Then is there s script I can load to test the SD reader? Like write a text file, then I can see if I can read it on the PC? Also, I remember reading the SD card must be formatted a certain way.

Thanks

I'm sure it is easy, but so far I haven't seen clear directions.

Thanks

Maxi
Re: Help in wiring SD card reader to RAMPS 1.4
September 15, 2013 12:12AM
See this image, bottom right connector (AUX-3): [reprap.org]
Just wire up the pins as labeled, MISO to MISO, MOSI to MOSI, etc. I believe that CS needs to connect to pin D53. You should be able to leave 3.3V disconnected.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 15, 2013 12:17AM
That image helped a lot! Thank you.

Update: got most of the pins wired. Question, there are two ground pins labeled on the SD reader? But on the RAMPS Aux 3 there is 1 GRND pin available. Do both need to me used? Just one?

I'm not a electronics expert. Is there a different ground circuit for 3.3v and 5v?

And for future reference, If anyone is doing this, I found a script to test if the SD card is working properly. Haven't tried it yet.

Check this:

[reprap.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2013 12:58AM by disneytoy.
September 16, 2013 12:53PM
Hi, a few things:

DON'T connect the 3.3V to the ramps. There is a 3.3V regulator on your board (the AMS1117), so the 3.3V is an output, not an input, and you don't want to connect 2 similar power supplies to each other.

The grounds are all connected together on the ramps board, you only need to connect to one, but more than that wouldn't break anything.

You might want to allow the firmware to detect whether an sd card is inserted. If so, you'll need to solder a wire carefully to the sd card socket directly (it's not broken out on your board). Look here for details: [tommyc-reprap.blogspot.co.uk] (search the page for "SDCARDDETECT Hack"

CS can be connected to a few different pins, check your firmware. In marlin this info is in pins.h, listed as "SDSS". If you do the card detection thing I just said, you need to set SDCARDDETECT to something, just find an available pin.

I just formatted the card as FAT, and put some gcode files on it (if you're trying with real reprap firmware, put some .gcode files on there as I don't know if it shows .txt files for example)

hope this helps
September 16, 2013 10:45PM
Thanks. Will try that. I did read that you don't need the Sd detect hack anymore. Not sure if that applies to my new RAMPS 1.4?
September 17, 2013 07:01AM
Has your sd reader card got a translator chip on the back of the board?

September 18, 2013 12:49AM
Rear of board has nothing on it. On the front, just resistors some caps and I think a voltage regulator.

Final question, there are ground pins on the card.(SEE ABOVE PHOTO) Do I ignore the ground pin next to the 3.3v pin? Should I jumper both grounds together?

Thanks
September 18, 2013 12:02PM
The two grounds should be connected in the board already. You can double check this with a multimeter.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
July 03, 2019 05:58AM
Hello I use the another sd board
Whene test the system read the sd Card and show the gcode but it cant Open it
ErorSays Says = Open failed filesad smileyname gcode)
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20190703_141847_815.jpg (53.9 KB)
July 03, 2019 06:17AM
Mohammad6363
Hello I use the another sd board
Whene test the system read the sd Card and show the gcode but it cant Open it
ErorSays Says = Open failed filesad smileyname gcode)

What size is the partition you are using and how is the card formatted?

Could you upload the gcode so I can check if there is maybe an error in the gcode?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login