Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what is the width of the extruded material?

Posted by skangreprap 
what is the width of the extruded material?
January 13, 2014 02:57PM
Hello,

I got everything working finally, trying to calibrate the extrusion.
My extruder is .35mm and when it extrude a single height, the thickness is on aveage 1.30mm.
I'm sure this can be controlled by the extruder feed rate but changing the feed rate on the sprinter firmware doesn't seemed to reduce the thickness.
Anyone know where else to look for, also what is the ideal thickness for .35mm to extrude, 35mm?
I'm running sprinter firmware with pronterface and slic3r.

Thanks.
Re: what is the width of the extruded material?
January 14, 2014 04:16AM
It depends on your layer height

but slic3r commends what it should be in the top of the gcode file. Take a look at that

In saying that... unless you have a really small layer height.. that sound really wrong.
Check that you have a nozzle set to .35 on slic3r (will also be in gcode comments)

Then check you e-steps. Do the standard extrude 10mm. did your extruder take in 10mm?
January 14, 2014 01:32PM
I think from my .35 I get @.48 when free air extruding. I'm assuming the 1.3 you are talking about is filament squished to the bed? If not you are way over extruding.
check your feed rate as Dust suggested.
January 17, 2014 11:58PM
yup, my filament was getting squished so I up the bed to .3mm. Now I have another problem. The extruder is keep getting jammed and the filament won't go in smoothly.
I've tried tightening the tension screw and loosening it but the problem is more consistent now. When the extruder change speed from slow to fast, it gets jammed. When the extruder retract a 1mm it also jams.
Any ideas? I noticed when I put the 3mm filament in manually for the first run, it was really hard to push it in manually. Maybe I need to widen the extruder hole?
January 18, 2014 12:25AM
There are a lot of factors that go into the jamming issue.
What type of filamet?
What type of hotend?
Where did you buy the hotend?
What type of extruder?
What temp are you extruding at?
Are you trying to push 3mm filamet through a 1.75mm hotend?
How fast are you pushing the filamet?

It is posible you damaged the hotend having it that close to the bed. Or you could have hit a bad spot in your roll of filamet. Or the themister is gone bad and give incorrect heat readings..

I would not recommend. Widening the orifice, cleaning it.. maybe...but not widening no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 12:26AM by cat.farmer.
January 21, 2014 12:42PM
3mm PLA, hotend is [:eRTM:GB:1123" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.co.uk]
wades extruder
have played with temperature ranging from 180 - 230 celcius.
This is 3mm filament through 3mm extruder. the hole size is .35mm.
Using the default push speed on sprinter which is set to 1380 but I've also tried 800 - 1300 with mixed results.
January 22, 2014 09:18AM
I have no experience with that hot end. So i don't know what kind of quality it has. Does the hotend hold temp when you are extruding? Or does it drop? I had problems with the first hotend i had, i tried everything i could think of but could not get it to work for longer then 15 minutes before it would jam. After months of trying i ended up buying a known, quality hotend. I think the problem with mine was it would not hold enough heat and the transistion zone would cool too fast and the filamet(pla) would stick. You could email the seller and ask for advice.
January 22, 2014 01:44PM
what are some known quality hot end?
January 22, 2014 09:49PM
that is a loaded question.. if you want the standard answer a j head.. but not the Chinese made ones on ebay.. from a good supplier.. should be in the $60 - $80 (US) I bought an MG Plus( not a j head) off ebay.. i love the thing, but really only made for pla and abs. If you want to do hotter plastics you will want an all metal hotend.. and they can get pricey.
January 24, 2014 10:51AM
Not finding any MG plus, got a link?
January 24, 2014 12:01PM
[m.ebay.com]
If you go with this hot end make sure it will fit your printer. It is shorter then a j head, i have my x rails set vertically amd had to modify my mountimg so the hotend could reach the bed before the x carriage hit the bed... but i designed and built my own printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 12:06PM by cat.farmer.
January 24, 2014 04:21PM
This is 1.75mm, any 3mm?
January 24, 2014 07:57PM
Not sure.that is just the one i bought.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login