Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem when jumper vcc to 5v (servo)

Posted by dangerbock 
Problem when jumper vcc to 5v (servo)
February 18, 2014 04:39AM
Hi,

I'm trying to add auto bet level but when i put the jumper on vcc/5v next to the reset button to power servo the arduino "won't boot" and the LCD also don't light up ....

any idea why ? what i'm doing wrong ?

tnkx in advance
Re: Problem when jumper vcc to 5v (servo)
February 20, 2014 07:02AM
Can you post a picture? It should work fine if you are doing it correctly. I soldered mine together on the under side of my board.
February 20, 2014 07:05AM
picture ? from what ? is just a simple jumper on vcc to 5v
there is any test with multimeter that i can do ?
February 20, 2014 07:08AM
I just want to verify you have it right. You would be surprised how often people think they have it right but dont.

You can check there is 5v there, thats about it really. You could also check that nothing is shorting the servo 5v pins to the servo grounds.
February 20, 2014 07:13AM
i don't have the printer here...but here is one image with the pins that i have the jumper.
if it helps i already buyed the board assembly...
Attachments:
open | download - RAMPS1-3_rst.JPG (140.9 KB)
February 20, 2014 07:16AM
Yeah that looks right. Do you have the servo connected? if so unplug it and try. if its not working with the servo unplugged then it must be a short somewhere on the servo 5v pins.
February 20, 2014 07:18AM
the first thing i tryed was without the serve connect ... i think i will try to disconect everything sad smiley
February 21, 2014 07:59PM
The vcc/5v jumper only livens up the +5 pin in the centre of the servo pins.

I would check for a short from the centre pin to the ground pin of the servo connectors. (gnd is edge most pins)

also the servos go on the 3 pins... gnd,+5 and a signal pin. not across (Ive seen this done!)
February 24, 2014 04:24AM
hi

the short is on 5v and ground pins. but i can't find where is made sad smiley
March 01, 2014 04:49AM
Its probably top side under the Pins, where you cant see it... A hot blob of solder squished flat.

Unless you have solder sucker, its going to be a PITA to fix.. ie remove all pins and check under them.

I wouldn’t try, I would pull the central pin from the plug on the servo and connect that directly to the to the vcc pin. after removing the vcc/5v jumper.
That will power the servo without making the servo +5 line live.
March 03, 2014 04:37AM
that what i did...i let the short there and connected direct to cvv smiling smiley
March 05, 2014 05:25PM
I found that some servos draw a bit too much current and even if the system seems to be working fine, the draw on the board makes it erratic.
The best way to power the servo is to add a 7805 voltage regulator chip, it is very easy to do and overcomes the under power problem. I have had a machine working apparently OK for several hours only to have it fail due to power loss, the voltage regulator over comes this problem.

The voltage regulator has 3 pins (photo attached). Two pins go into the power supply plug for the RAMPS board and the third pin just has a short wire to go to the 5v connection on the RAMPS.

Pin one goes to the 12 volt power plug, pin 2 goes to 12 volt negative power plug, pin 3 goes to 5 volt connection on RAMPS.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Attachments:
open | download - 7805.jpg (5.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login