Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS 1.4 TEST FIRWARE GONE VERY WRONG!!!

Posted by CAD_Ninja 
RAMPS 1.4 TEST FIRWARE GONE VERY WRONG!!!
February 25, 2014 12:34PM
Hello,

I got a Saint Smart kit Arduino 2560 R3 + Ramps 1.4, but I am having all sorts of problems...

To test my hardware I uploaded the Ramps test Firmware: ( [reprap.org] ) and it moves the stepper motors, but it is in an endless loop that I can't stop!!!!

I try to upload a new firmware to delete the Ramps Test firmware but I can't it shows this message:

How can I make it stop from executing the test firmware?

Does this mean that the hardware I have is broken?

My set up: Win 7, Arduino IDE 1,05 and 0023, I have set in Arduino IDE , Tools the right board and selected the correct COM port.

I would appreciate your help a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 12:35PM by CAD_Ninja.
Attachments:
open | download - 23DWiring(550x291).jpg (247.3 KB)
Re: RAMPS 1.4 TEST FIRWARE GONE VERY WRONG!!!
February 25, 2014 04:07PM
CAD_Ninja
I try to upload a new firmware to delete the Ramps Test firmware but I can't it shows this message:

Select the correct com port. Look in device manager and see which one appears/disappears while plugging in/unplugging the usb cable and that it's listed under Ports (COM & LPT). On my pc, once in a while Win7 just doesn't create a working usb com port angry smiley and I have to uninstall the device in the device manager and then 'scan for hardware changes' to get it working again.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

CAD_Ninja
How can I make it stop from executing the test firmware?

You need to upload something else. The adruino can only run what was uploaded to it.

CAD_Ninja
Does this mean that the hardware I have is broken?

No, it's doing what you told it to do. smiling smiley
February 25, 2014 05:17PM
stephenrc

No it doesn't... because it doesn't let me to upload a new firmware to the Arduino, as you can see in the attached image...

When I removed the Ramps shield from the Arduino and connected only the Arduino to the computer it connected right away and lets me upload a new program for example the ''blinking led'' from the examples of Arduino.

My Ramps shield has both diodes D1 and D2.

In order to run the 3d printer from the computer the D1 diode must be removed?
February 25, 2014 09:15PM
It looks like its not letting you upload to the arduino because you are trying to connect through COM4 and it can't find COM4. Are you sure that's where your arduino is connected? I know on linux, the name/port given to a USB device depends on the order in which things are connected. That may very well be true on windows too.

You should be able to upload to the Arduino with the RAMPS connected. You can try disconnecting the RAMPS from its power supply. I wouldn't think it would make a difference, but its worth a shot
February 27, 2014 06:34AM
Have you tried pressing the reset button on the controller immediately before attempting to connect? You had to do this on the makerbot gen3 arduino based electronics in order to interrupt the installed firmware so you could update it. It sounds to me like maybe your test firmware is starting and not allowing a connection?
February 27, 2014 08:24AM
CAD_Ninja
stephenrc

No it doesn't... because it doesn't let me to upload a new firmware to the Arduino, as you can see in the attached image...

When I removed the Ramps shield from the Arduino and connected only the Arduino to the computer it connected right away and lets me upload a new program for example the ''blinking led'' from the examples of Arduino.

My Ramps shield has both diodes D1 and D2.

In order to run the 3d printer from the computer the D1 diode must be removed?

No. the diode does not affect that. Remove all drivers from Ramps and try again.
February 28, 2014 06:47AM
I think I found the solution to the problem! It was the D1 diode!

I isolated the D1 diode and now it works!

More specifically, I think because the Arduino was getting power from the USB cable from the PC and from the Ramps board through the 12V input and those two diferenet power sources didn't had the same ground caused this unstable behavior of the Arduino.

So far it works flawlessly!
I can upload a new sketch at the board while it is executing the Ramps test code and it has successfully completed many Gcodes files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2014 06:48AM by CAD_Ninja.
February 28, 2014 07:40AM
Your board must be defective, tons of people run power supply + computer power with that diode with no issues or the diode was installed wrong. To be honest, I would expect that with only paying $75 for the entire setup...I have $65 in just the DRV8825 drivers on my board so I've not a clue how they sell everything that cheap without some serious quality issues.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2014 07:43AM by tjb1.
February 28, 2014 11:43AM
tjb1
Your board must be defective, tons of people run power supply + computer power with that diode with no issues or the diode was installed wrong. To be honest, I would expect that with only paying $75 for the entire setup...I have $65 in just the DRV8825 drivers on my board so I've not a clue how they sell everything that cheap without some serious quality issues.

Ok well...

The price is not a good αrgument...

Can you tell me what is your set up?
Are you using Arduino + Ramps powered by both usb and 12V and the D1 diode in place with NO common ground and you don't have any problems?

I am very interested to hear your reply.
February 28, 2014 12:56PM
CAD_Ninja
tjb1

Ok well...

The price is not a good αrgument...

Can you tell me what is your set up?
Are you using Arduino + Ramps powered by both usb and 12V and the D1 diode in place with NO common ground and you don't have any problems?

I am very interested to hear your reply.

I was using an Arduino (from Arduino themselves) and Ramps1.4 from a company I will not mention as I do not want to push sales to them but it is of decent quality. I would run a PSU ATX (Diablotek PHD380m) to power Ramps and USB to the Arduino with no issues.

And yes the price is an argument, you can get the sainsmart board (Ramps, Arduino and 5 drivers) for $75. 5 legitimate drivers from Pololu of the A4988 is right around $50. Sainsmart has cut quality somewhere to sell everything at that price and still make a profit. I don't care if you believe me or not, it is the truth.
February 28, 2014 05:33PM
tjb1: Actually, this is a flaw with the design of the Arduino itself, but appears on many other boards that implement their own USB (eg: Sangululo, Meltzi, etc). The issue itself is known as a Ground loop problem, and ONLY manifests itself when you use a PSU on the device end (the Arduino) that has it's own AC Ground connection.

The Arduino has the USB shield wired directly to ground. Unfortunately, "Ground" can be an ambiguous term. In the case of the Arduino it's the DC Ground.

On the PC, it's usually case ground which MAY or MAY NOT be AC Ground (depends on the manufacturer).

There is nothing that says that AC Ground and DC Ground need to be the same, so in many cases there is a DC and/or AC voltage present if measured between AC Ground and DC Ground on the PC side. This depends entirely on the PSU (and the same applies if you have an ATX PSU running your electronics).

First thing to remember here is that if BOTH PSU's are plugged into the same wall socket/power board, they've definitely got the same AC Ground. Given they're usually located right next to each other, this is a pretty safe bet. This means that the AC Ground is the same on both devices.

Now: If you have a PSU on the Arduino side that has NO difference in voltage between AC Ground and DC Ground, and a PC that does have a difference (or vice versa), you can get very weird results where a lot of current flows along the USB cable, causing all sorts of issues (including the USB cable getting hot due to the current flow). This is the current flowing through the Ground loop.

BTW: If the USB shield isn't connected on the Arduino side, this doesn't happen (unless you connect a ground some other way).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login