Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Panelolu2 on RAMPS 1.4 - how to add a fan ?

Posted by ufab 
Panelolu2 on RAMPS 1.4 - how to add a fan ?
March 14, 2014 02:26PM
Hello smiling smiley

After soldering a bit, I managed to plug a Panelolu 2 screen on a RAMPS 1.4. It works nicely but I'd like to add a (controled) fan. Apparently, the transistor 1 of the adaptator allows this since it is linked to the pin 45 which is controlled by PWM.
I tried to activate this pin 45 in Marlin by changing the pins.h (maybe wrongly) but my fan still don't work.
Also the 12v output of the adapter is not working.
Is there something special to do ?

Sorry for these noob questions smiling smiley

Thanks,

Arnaud.

MendelMax 1.5
RAMPS 1.4
E3D 1.75mm direct extrusion
Re: Panelolu2 on RAMPS 1.4 - how to add a fan ?
March 15, 2014 09:41AM
Do you mean a fan controlled by you via the panelolu, or a fan controlled by g code? Why not use the predefined fan pin? Are you using 1 or 2 extruders (because with only 1 extruder the fan is connected to the pin for extruder 2)?
March 17, 2014 04:10AM
Hello jbernardis smiling smiley

I thought that a fan controlled by the Panelolu or by the gcode was the same. I guess it is possible to control multiple fans with the gcode but to control at least the same than the Panelolu one would be great. I don't know if it is feasible.

For the moment I only have one extruder but I plan to add a second one soon. Therefore, I'd like to keep my motherboard as '34' in the Marlin software.

That's why I thought it could be easy to use the transistor 1 of the Panelolu adapter since it is designed for a fan.

Thanks
March 17, 2014 04:57PM
If you keep the second extruder "reserved" like you are doing, I'm pretty sure that marlin assigns the fan to pin 4 (of course you can change this) which is one of the servo outputs near the reset button. I basically built this circuit and tapped off the RAMPS board at the mentioned pin 4. From this same servo connector, I took ground, and I took the 12 volts off of a header I installed near D2. The fan can be controlled by either the control panel or by G Code with no other software changes necessary.
March 18, 2014 05:37AM
Yes, that's probably the case. But since I've got a beautiful adapter with the LCD which can apparently control a fan, it seems easier to activate this possibility smiling smiley
The only problem is that I don't know how ...
March 18, 2014 09:47AM
It looks like that adapter board adds MOSFETs to pins 45 and 49. I'm not sure which one you're trying to use, but all you need to do is change the fan pin to 45 or 49. Everything else should just follow along with that change.

I can't remember exactly the variable that needs to change, but I believe you can find it in Configuration.h - make sure you look in the section for motherboard type 34. I believe the default pin number for MB 34 is 4, so that can help you identify the variable (I think the variable is obvious - something like FAN_PIN)
March 18, 2014 07:38PM
One thing you need to beware of:

You can change the fan output to use it, but you need to make sure NOTHING ELSE in the config is using those pins. If you find that, you need to swap the pins about or list the unused pins as -1.
March 19, 2014 10:19AM
Hello,

In fact I already found the FAN_PIN in the pins.h part of Marlin. It didn't work and I didn't understand why.
But when I checked again the documentation of the Panelolu, I figured out that the 12v port on the adapter was not a 12v output ... but a 12v input ! Yes, I'm that idiot :p
I made a connection between the RAMPS 12v output and this input on the adapter and it works !

Thanks a lot for your help smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login