Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connecting cooling fans to Ramps 1.4

Posted by wangfei 
Connecting cooling fans to Ramps 1.4
May 02, 2014 01:47AM
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 issues i would like to address in this post. 1. Extruder motor cooler fan and 2. PCB cooler fan.
My power supply is a hacked PC power supply, which just have a switch added to control on/off so it is not controlled by software.

1.: I have connected a 40 fan (glued on back side of my extruder motor) to D9 and it works but changes the rpm according to temp., but i am looking for a more simple solution, where the fan is simply cooling all the time running maybe 30% speed. Does anyone have a suggestion how to do this ?

2.: I have connected a 60mm fan directly to the 2 pins next to D2 (i don't know their real number or name), The fan is cooling the PCB fine all the time at what ever speed the fan has and it works, but when print job has finished this fan keeps on running until main power supply switch is flipped. Does anyone have an alternative way to connect this maybe even with the possibility to control speed but most important to be able to stop it together with print job with a command in End G-code ?
Re: Connecting cooling fans to Ramps 1.4
May 02, 2014 06:38AM
Dear wangfei!
I solved this issue (at least one of yours) a few days ago. I have an electronics cooling fan (80mm 12V) and hotend cooling fan (30mm 12V). I hooked my 80mm fan directly to the + and - of the power supply. It's working all the time at 100%. I hooked my 30mm fan to the same connector that you describe and it's working again - all the time at 100% speed. The D09 connector is for a fan that is cooling the part that is printing so it will change it's speed according to the temperature.
I can't help you for the 30% issue. Why you need something like that? If you cool it in 100%, all the time, I think it will be just fine.
Best regards,
Bobby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 06:47AM by BoByS.
May 02, 2014 08:48AM
You can put a resistor in line with the fan to lower the speed, there is also a 5v output next to D2 that you could run a 12v fan off of if it will start. There is also a setting in Marlin/Repetier to use 2 fans if you aren't using a bed or 2 extruders.

35 = RAMPS 1.3 / 1.4 (Power outputs: Extruder, Fan, Fan)

or you can buy a RRD Fan Extender to add additional PWM fan controls.
May 02, 2014 09:57AM
The D9 connection is the preferable way to connect a fan for cooling the printed object. A fan connected this way can be controlled by G Code, and you can tell your slicer when and how fast to run it. This way it turns on and off, at the proper speed, when it's needed.

As far as the RAMPS is concerned, there is a spot for a 2-pin header near D2 that breaks out permanently on 12V. I have installed this header and this is how I power the fan that cools the board itself.
May 02, 2014 10:09AM
jbernardis
The D9 connection is the preferable way to connect a fan for cooling the printed object. A fan connected this way can be controlled by G Code, and you can tell your slicer when and how fast to run it. This way it turns on and off, at the proper speed, when it's needed.

As far as the RAMPS is concerned, there is a spot for a 2-pin header near D2 that breaks out permanently on 12V. I have installed this header and this is how I power the fan that cools the board itself.

It helps to read the original post...

wangfei
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 issues i would like to address in this post. 1. Extruder motor cooler fan and 2. PCB cooler fan.
My power supply is a hacked PC power supply, which just have a switch added to control on/off so it is not controlled by software.

1.: I have connected a 40 fan (glued on back side of my extruder motor) to D9 and it works but changes the rpm according to temp., but i am looking for a more simple solution, where the fan is simply cooling all the time running maybe 30% speed. Does anyone have a suggestion how to do this ?

2.: I have connected a 60mm fan directly to the 2 pins next to D2 (i don't know their real number or name), The fan is cooling the PCB fine all the time at what ever speed the fan has and it works, but when print job has finished this fan keeps on running until main power supply switch is flipped. Does anyone have an alternative way to connect this maybe even with the possibility to control speed but most important to be able to stop it together with print job with a command in End G-code ?

The OP is already using D9 and wants to hardwire it at 30%. You can set the slic3r to 30% all the time while running and ignore time per layer.

The OP is also already using the 12v source next to D2 but wants the fan to shutoff when print it done.
May 06, 2014 01:19PM
Fan on command does take a current parameter where 255 is 100%
Add M106 77 to your start script for 30% continious fan output and M107 to your stop script in the slicer to turn it off at job finish.
Try M106 0 if your control set doesn't take the M107.

Leave the slicer temp control turned of as suggested in the previous post.

You could ignore the fan control in the slicer you use and no need to fiddle with the hardware this way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 01:21PM by voster.
May 11, 2014 12:30AM
Hi Voster,

I did as you suggested adding M106 S65 to the start code and M106 S0 at the end code and the fan is running fine at about 25% as i would like it. So many thanks for the advice.

I wonder it something similar could be done with the fan i have connected to the 2 pins next to D2 ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login