Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper issue with ramps

Posted by PomAdam 
Stepper issue with ramps
May 04, 2014 12:26AM
Hi,

I have an issue I can't understand. My stepper on X axis suddenly began to kick this morning on direction change at approximately 60mm/s and above. It skip steps and make it impossible to print. I tried a lot of vref setting on the DRV 8825, 0.45 V, 0.6 V 0.75 V but it does not change the behavior. I dismounted everything to find the problem and it is not mechanical. It continue to kick even completely dismounted from the printer. Also at 225mm/s it just stop to move and skip steps, impossible to go faster, even with no resistance.

The stepper on Y axis can speed up to 500mm/s easily. I switched the two stepper and the problem is still on X axis, so the motors are alright. Then I switched the stepper drive and it is still X. In marlin, I have the exact same settings for X and Y.

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {160.192, 160.192, 3200, 300, 300}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {600, 600, 10, 80, 80} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {5000,5000,25,3000,3000}

It leave me to suspect the ramps 1.4 but it is difficult to say why or how.

I tried everything that I could think of without success. If any body have an idea it would be very very appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Stepper issue with ramps
May 04, 2014 11:01AM
I performed new test and I am more confused than ever.

I changed the pin allocation of the X stepper with E1 and switched the motor connection. I ran the following gcode test:
G1 F9000
G1 X200
G1 X50
G1 X200
G1 X50
multiple times. I thought that if there is anything wrong with X electronic on ramps then connecting it to E1 would solve it. Result: wrong! It has the same behavior. It still tocs on the direction change and it skip steps at 200mm/s.
Then I did the test with the Y axis which perform well (no tocs even at 400mm/s) and switched the motor connection. The X motor connected on Y drive perform perfectly while Y motor connected on X drive tocs. The issue follow the X axis everywhere it's connected/attributed. The hardware seams alright. But I look in the firmware and both axis have the exact same settings.

The acceleration is set to 5000 but it does the same at 3000 or 1200 mm/s2.

Anybody got an idea? Even just an idea about something to test?

Thanks
May 04, 2014 08:31PM
PomAdam
Hi,

I have an issue I can't understand. My stepper on X axis suddenly began to kick this morning on direction change at approximately 60mm/s and above. It skip steps and make it impossible to print. I tried a lot of vref setting on the DRV 8825, 0.45 V, 0.6 V 0.75 V but it does not change the behavior. I dismounted everything to find the problem and it is not mechanical. It continue to kick even completely dismounted from the printer. Also at 225mm/s it just stop to move and skip steps, impossible to go faster, even with no resistance.

The stepper on Y axis can speed up to 500mm/s easily. I switched the two stepper and the problem is still on X axis, so the motors are alright. Then I switched the stepper drive and it is still X. In marlin, I have the exact same settings for X and Y.

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {160.192, 160.192, 3200, 300, 300}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {600, 600, 10, 80, 80} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {5000,5000,25,3000,3000}

It leave me to suspect the ramps 1.4 but it is difficult to say why or how.

I tried everything that I could think of without success. If any body have an idea it would be very very appreciated.

Thanks

Can you tell me why you have what appears to be 5 axes defined?

May 04, 2014 09:05PM
2 extruders?
May 04, 2014 10:52PM
That's what I wondered but its not stated.

May 05, 2014 07:31PM
Yes I use 2 extruders. I also use the rrd-fan-extender for ramps to connect two fan along with two extruders.

And I also solved the stepper issue by downloading the latest version of marlin. I used winmerge to copy my settings in Configuration.h, Configuration_adv.h and pins.h. I don't know what happened to corrupt the files in the first place. One evening it was printing right and next morning it was not, no firmware update in between. I should have done a mistake somewhere or it's my evil cat.

Thank you anyway to try to help. I spend the whole weekend on it. At least I did a great job inspecting every single mechanical part of my printer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login