Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Steppers "twitch" then stop when powered

Posted by jonkeegan 
Steppers "twitch" then stop when powered
May 31, 2014 11:31PM
Having some trouble with getting my stepper motors going as I build my Prusa Mendel IT2 (RAMPS 1.4 / Marlin / Pronterface mac).

After getting all of my options set in my Marlin config file, I was able to get my motors moving, but then they would all stop, and the board would have to be cycled to work again. I suspected endtop issues, and read through the forums finding lots of helpful stuff to try.

So then, to rule endstops out, I ran the Ramps 1.4 test firmware, and only my Y axis motor activates and loops. The others "twitch" to life, then stop.

I've read this could be an issue of the motors not having enough voltage, but I've tried adjusting the pots, and haven't seen any improvement...

Any thoughts?
Re: Steppers "twitch" then stop when powered
June 01, 2014 05:54AM
I would set the pots to 0.4v initially or up to 0.8v for stepsticks. Also, do you have the 3 jumpers installed under each of the 4 drivers?

June 01, 2014 01:43PM
I think this is fully resolved now...I followed some advice I saw elsewhere in the forum, and tested the other motors on each driver, and confirmed they were all working, but did diagnose a wiring issue on my Z-axis due to some crappy crimping of mine. So when I plugged everything back where it was supposed to be, and used the better soldered connections, I got full control of the three axes.

Thanks much, can't say how useful this forum is! Hope this helps someone else!
Re: Steppers "twitch" then stop when powered
June 02, 2014 02:37AM
Yeah, those crimps can be a swine to get right!

Click here to login