Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Correct Way to Wire Stepper Motors to RAMPS 1.4 Board

Posted by Garry Bartsch 
Correct Way to Wire Stepper Motors to RAMPS 1.4 Board
July 05, 2014 01:52AM
I have the G3D version of RAMPS 1.4. I'm trying to decide how to hook up the Z steppers for my new Mendel90 build. I've seen wiring schematics that show the steppers wired in series and plugged in to one spot on the board, and then others that show each stepper plugged into the board separately. Which is the proper way? I'd think in series would be better but then why is the board designed so that the two motors can plug in separately? Certainly that way would be easier. Is just as good as wiring them in series?

I appreciate any help anyone is willing to give on this. Thanks ..
Re: Correct Way to Wire Stepper Motors to RAMPS 1.4 Board
July 05, 2014 11:58AM
Im not that knowledgeable about stepper motor electronics, but in general when you connect things in a series, you are only delivering half the voltage to each. I have my motors connected in parallel (by plugging them in individually) and I can't imagine that connecting them serially will work.

Where have you seen a diagram showing series connection?
July 06, 2014 02:22AM
The diagram that I am thinking shows series wiring is from the RAMPS 1.4 Wiki: Wiring schematic is near bottom of page. Maybe I am not reading it right?

My Mendel90 that uses the Melzi board has the Z steppers wired in series.
July 06, 2014 03:17AM
[reprap.org] you mean?

That's parallel. Red to red, blue to blue, green to green, black to black.

Series is where you need to figure out the coils (eg: lets assume coil 1 = red and blue, coil 2 = green and black, just like the diagram seems to do) and then wiring red on the second motor to blue on the first, and black on the second to green on the first, then connecting the remaining wires to their standard positions.

PS to a wiki maintainer: The SVG that the pic is generated from isn't available when you click the link. Makes it hard to look at the pic in more detail.
July 06, 2014 03:45AM
All files using the "File:" in the URL are broken atm... I have contacted Adrian about it. He confirmed the issue... but so far not fixed.
July 06, 2014 10:50AM
That diagram shows a parallel connection. They are just using a single set of wires. This is fine, but mine are plugged in individually on the ramps board. The two are electrically equivalent. (Actually the only consideration would be the gauge of the common wire in the diagrammed method, but I don't think we're anywhere close to the wire's current limit)
July 06, 2014 02:29PM
Thanks for those good answers. That clears this up for me. I will just connect them individually.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login