Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question About The Order/Color Of Motor Wires Attached To The Ramps Board

Posted by Garry Bartsch 
Question About The Order/Color Of Motor Wires Attached To The Ramps Board
July 13, 2014 08:30PM
From the RepRap RAMPS 1.4 Wiki we read: "From left to right, wire all of the stepper motor's wires as red, blue, green, and black ... ."

The motor connectors I have are are opposite for the red and blue. They are: BLUE first and then RED. (Green and black are as per the Wiki.)

Should I reverse those first two in the housings I have so their order matches the Wiki (red first)?

OR, is the position of RED and BLUE interchangeable?
OR, do different board manufacturers require different wire orders?

I've seen all different orders and color combinations when I did an image search for RAMPS so that was no help.

Again, I really appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Re: Question About The Order/Color Of Motor Wires Attached To The Ramps Board
July 13, 2014 09:45PM
It'll depend entirely on where you sourced your motors as to what colour wires you need to use.

Unfortunately motor manufacturers do not use standard colour codes across all stepper motors.

eg: I have a bunch of motors that don't have Black, but have Yellow instead, and the two coils in the motor aren't anywhere near paring shown in the diagram.

Have a look at [reprap.org]

If you get stuck or confused, please reply and say so. If you can't figure out the wiki page, then we need to improve it.
July 13, 2014 10:42PM
Thank you for pointing me to that page. It has great info. I'm not sure how I missed that.

The shaft-twisting test for pairs is cool and my motors are the standard red-blue, green-black. So I will connect the same colors from the motor to the same colors from the wiring plug and not worry that the first connector pair is blue-red. If I test the motors and they spin the wrong way I will just reverse them in the firmware.

It's encouraging to read I won't fry something by having one pair in the wrong way since there is no 'wrong' way.

If I re-write the following for my own clarification -

"So make sure each coil's wire is together on one side or the other of the plug, and plug it in."

- as -

"So make sure each pair's wires are together on one side (or the other) of the plug, and then connect the plug to the controller board."

- does it mean the same thing?
July 14, 2014 12:52AM
Correct. I've since edited that to be a bit more explicit, as it wasn't 100% clear. Hopefully it's now clearer.
July 14, 2014 12:39PM
Cefiar
Correct. I've since edited that to be a bit more explicit, as it wasn't 100% clear. Hopefully it's now clearer.

Well, I think it was pretty good before but now it's even better and easier for people like me with no knowledge in electronics. Sometimes things need to be spoon fed to us before we catch on. But I'm learning and appreciate your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login