Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SmartController Issue

Posted by urable2 
SmartController Issue
September 23, 2014 10:31AM
I have been using ramps 1.4 with a reprap discount smart controller and it has been working fine. I use marlin v1 firmware. I have a 20a ps. Now, when I turn the power on the lcd does not come but if I connect via usb it comes on. Any idea what is happening. Is it a power issue or pin issue. I have the reprap smart controller uncommented in configuration. I don't know what to do.

Thanks,

Keith
Re: SmartController Issue
September 23, 2014 02:22PM
Not an expert, but I have read that some power supplies require a resistence on one of the lines in order to power up. That or they have a power line intended to connect to the computers power switch. Either of these issues would be my first guess as I am assuming the controller is just getting power from the Arduino, which is being powered from the USB in the absence of power from the new supply. I would bet that even with the USB connected, you aren't able to move your motors or complete a print as those components need the 12V line.
September 24, 2014 12:40AM
I was actually coming here for this very same reason. I have the reprapdiscount.com full graphic smart controller and can not get power to the display/arduino unless the USB is connected. I am running ramps 1.4 and I have the D1 diode installed and have verified it's orientation. I am trying to run the unit without a pc but since the arduino isn't apparently receiving power from the 12v I have to keep the arduino powered from the pc usb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2014 12:41AM by Rav0506.
September 24, 2014 07:31AM
either voltage regulator on the mega is not working or the ramps is not providing power to the vin pin on the mega

There has been a bunch or cheap ramps lately that have the track from D1 to Vin broken.
September 24, 2014 12:59PM
I ended up removing D1 and wiring the 5V VCC pin to the 5v VSB output (Purple wire) from my power supply and then PS-ON pin to the green wire on the atx connector. It is my understanding that wiring it that way will allow the firmware to turn the PSU on and off with the M80 and M81 g-code commands while keeping the arduino/LCD powered on the standby VSB, however my LCD will only power on if the PSU is actually in it's "awake" state. I was hoping to be able to start a print before work or bed and have the arduino power down the psu after completion. At the moment I am able to print from the SD without being connected to the USB power which is a step in the right direction but I would like to be able to use the M80/M81 commands by having the LCD/Arduino run on the 5v vsb wire. Would this be an indication that the voltage regulator on the arduino is indeed bad?

I am also working through this on another relevant thread that was posted before this one:
Full Graphic Smart Controller powers off when USB cable unplugged

I believe forum educate dictates I try to consolidate responses to one thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2014 02:30PM by Rav0506.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login